Chapter 122

Had it been a common folk story, the celebrations would have lasted three days and three nights. But there was nothing common about their kingdom. The people refused to put an end to it, there was simply too much to celebrate. The heirs were back, their leader was finally king, the enemy had been defeated, the royal family was complete and they would do their best to protect their subjects, they had already proven it countless times. It took a couple of weeks for everything to go quiet, but people still talked about recent events, turning them into tales to be passed on to next generations.

Though the departure of Asema with Serion and the pure vampire in search of the other pure vampires and that of Eden and Rubia to their new home was a wakeup call back to reality and it pained those that stayed behind deeply, it was a new step towards a better future and they could not help but shedding tears both of sadness and joy. It was difficult to break the embrace and to finally say goodbye, but, in the end, they had to shake hands, wish them all the best and let them go.

The heavy door opened with a quiet squeak.

Dei: Have you sent for us, father?

Deianeira and Elain entered the small office room, strongly lit by the candles in the chandelier, followed by Darion and Ramisu. Amel stood against the table, his hands on its edges, bend over the map of the kingdom, while Alyssa and the Warlock sat at his right and left. As they approached him, Ramisu noticed the two small flags on the map: one of them where the castle was and the other one over the land of Ramisu and Lyserg.

Am: Yes, come in. There is still something we need to discuss.

Ela: Why is the Warlock here? Is there something wrong?

Amel showed her a kind smile. He got lost in his thoughts for a couple of seconds, telling himself she would understand.

Am: No, sweetheart. There is still this matter that we have not solved yet. The Warlock is here as a witness.

Rm: Amel, I have already told you I have given up on everything I poses, there is no need to...

Amel interrupted him.

Am: Your land belongs to you, Ramisu. It is your legacy from Damien and I do not have the right to take it from you. Lyserg's part is now yours as well. Do with it what you wish, it all belongs to you, just the way Eden and Darion will hold onto their own piece of land from what used to be Leon's land.

Ramisu knew better than to contradict Amel and in his heart he was much more grateful than he actually let it show. Email smiled, feeling how his hearth warmed at the thought of still owning something of his own.

Rm: Thank you, Amel.

Dei: Why is there a flag on our home?

Amel straightened his back and starred back at each of his daughters. He knew they must already be aware of it, he knew he had no explanation to give, that was the way it had to be. And, having observed them in so many situations, he knew he was taking the right decision. He had no regrets.

Am: Because we have discussed about everyone's future but ours.

Darion and Ramisu looked at each other, having understood what Amel was going to talk about. They took a small step behind at the same time, understanding they were there only to listen.

As: And the future of our family can only be ensured through you, especially since we've learned about...the gift our ancestors gave you.

Am: We have to discuss the matter of succession to the throne.

Dei: Is it actually needed? I mean, you have no intention to leave, do you? And we are finally at peace.

Am: We are at peace now. We are here for now. We cannot tell what the future will bring. It is a decision that must be taken, for the safety of our people.