Chapter 18

Without her realizing it, tears started falling from her eyes, but she pulled the notebook to her chest and smiled through her tears. She could not believe that, for the first time, she felt her mother's aura which, though faint, caressed her heart. She had never mentioned it, afraid of hurting Elain, but, ever since she had found out about their real parents, she had been longing for that feeling. The Warlock waited patiently for her to calm down and he put a hand on her shoulder.

W: You are a small drop of blood of your mother. You resemble in everything, I look at you and I see her when she was but a little older than you. Your journey is only at the beginning and you need to become tougher, stronger, or else you won't resist in this world.

Deianeira wiped her tears without letting go of the diary.

Dei: Did I inherit her powers? Will this help me control them better?

W: Yes.

She did her best not to cry again and showed a large smile, the larger she had ever had before and the hugged the Warlock tight with her free arm.

Dei: I will never be able to thank you enough Warlock, but please tell me, why do you have this? How have you met my mother? How about my father?

W: The diary will answer some of these questions, she stopped writing before you were born. I used to help her control her powers, especially her healing powers. I don't have enough time to tell you everything and I prefer not to do it between these walls, but trust me, this will help you.

Dei: But why now? Why didn't you give this to me before?

W: I had not planned to give it to you at all, as it might have been too much for you and I was not sure how much you knew and how much you wished to know either. Now I am sure I am doing the right thing, I know how you feel about her and I know how Elain feels too. It is not the time for her to read it and it will not be of use to her as much as it will help you.

Dei: I will follow your advice, I will treasure it and protect it with everything I have.

W: I know you will. I have to go now, or else I will raise suspicions.

Dei: When will I see you again?

W: I honestly hope you will not need me.

She stared at him confused, as he took her bloodstone in his hand, its colour turning into a bright red.

W: I am not as strong as I used to be, I managed to keep you alive for some time with my energy and I also recovered enough to give you more.

Dei: Keep me alive? What do you mean?

W: Take this as a gift, it will help you if you will have such problems with energy again. I am sorry I cannot give you more, but, as you can see, I am pretty old myself.

Before leaving, she put a hand on his and stopped him in his tracks.

Dei: This is enough, thank you, I am perfectly fine.

W: Deianeira, I know you are ready to sacrifice for your loved ones, but you will be a burden if, after healing them, they have to heal you. Be more careful with your energy.

She simply nodded and followed him to the door. She was aware that Lyserg would come back in a couple of minutes, so she rushed to her jewelries box and took Darion's lace, put it in the notebook and then hid it under the bed. Her heart kept beating fast, she was as happy and excited as she was scared for what she was about to discover.

In the next days, she did not leave her room, feeling sleepier craving Lyserg's blood every night and falling asleep while drinking from him. His presence made her feel calmer as her blood would boil for hours and hours. She felt herself changing and, more importantly, she wasn't afraid of Lyserg anymore. Having drunk so much from him, she felt stronger, as her dhampir side was taking over.