Chapter 41

A voice laughed in the background and Elain, having conjured her wind, managed to blow away part of the ring fire, enough for her to get out.

'Ah, a brave one. I admire your courage.'

Ed: Man, I had almost forgotten how it felt to have a sword right next to your heart.

Dr: It started healing, but I can't yet get up.

Elain stood in front of them, ready to fight whoever was behind the hoarse voice.

Ela: Who are you? Where are you? Show yourself, if you dare!

Out of her control, her wind blew towards the trees, revealing five witches dressed in black ragged dresses with big jewelries hanging from their necks and earrings; they really lived up to their reputation as being a vampire's deadliest enemy.

'Right into our trap. You didn't even feel our auras, the cloaking spell worked perfectly.'

'The energy we drew from the moon was more than enough to reinforce the magical border.'

'Now, let us have some fun!'

Even if he had barely managed to stand up, Eden was immediately pushed to the ground shouting in pain.

Ed: Damn it! Stop it, witch!

Though Elain launched at them with her lightning ready to hit, her orb was blocked by a fireball.

'Focus on the other two as well. Don't let them get up.'

Soon the shouts of agony were heard from Darion as well as his hands clenched the ground, but Deianeira managed to get up and ran to his help.

'The other one is a vampire, but also a priestess. We cannot hold her down like the others.'

Dei: Stop hurting him!

The barrier she summoned around her and Darion and Eden helped hidding them for the moment while Elain was still trapped in the elemental battle, neither hers or the witch's moving.

'Focus more on the boys. We have to get their blood for our spells or we will have to wait until another celestial event of that amplitude happens again. We have been waiting for this for too long, we need these vampires.'

'Take our energies as well.'

The other witches linked hands and transferred their energies from one another till they reached the one fighting Elain and, with a final blast, she was thrown through the fire barrier in Deianeira's arms. Luckily enough, the barrier had ceased before she could be burned, as Deianeira had seen her sister pushed towards it. The coven of witches came in front of them and a circle of fire was created around them. It was now dawning.

'Hurry up and catch them before they get burnt in the sun.'

Not yet ready to give up, Elain rushed at them with the sword, but they were gone from her sight. Hitting the ground, she was pushed against it by a silver dagger which, though not enough to kill her, could hold her still for a while. The witches then focused on Deianeira and the boys, throwing them over the border again and making them all pass out.

After a few hours, Elain opened her eyes and found herself standing up, having her hands tied up with vervain ropes in an underground lair lit by tens of candles. Next to her, Deianeira was still passed out and the vervain ropes had started leaving marks on her skin.

Ela: Deianeira, wake up. We are in big trouble.

Dei: I feel so tired; like I died again.

'Well, you almost did. The magical border made you revert back to your human form, and sucked the magic out of your bodies. You, vampires, always fall for this trap.'