Chapter 114

Alyssa

Alyssa

*****

Leon gathered all the strength he still had to let out a painful cry that howled throughout the castle and made its walls shake. Everyone could recognize that voice and everyone understood what that agonizing shout meant. The fight was already almost over but, when Leon's last shout faded, the end of the battle was certain. Too few from those that served Leon accepted the defeat, too many chose to end their own lives rather than becoming Amel's prisoners. When Leon fell to the ground, his body slowly turning to stone, Elain and Deianeira felt as if a huge burden had been lifted off their shoulders. The fall destroyed Leon's body and only his petrified heart that had been pierced by Amel's sword remained behind. Elain ran at her sister and her father and hugged both of them tight.

Ela: I am so sorry.

Am: Don't speak now. Just let me hug you.

Amel kept both of her locked between his arms, listening to their sobs, feeling their tears falling down his neck. He had been fighting for decades, centuries against Leon but there it was, the end of it all. And the ones who put an end to it were the very ones whom he had tried so much to keep away from that chaos. They managed to do what he failed to for so many years. And he could not have been prouder to be overpowered by his own daughters.

Dei: You put an end to it, now leave your past behind.

Deianiera was facing Elain, her head still buried in the crack of Amel's neck. She knew her words would not change anything, but she wanted Elain to remember the battle as the one in which they defeated Leon, not the one during which she fought against her kin. Elain only nodded, the sobs not letting her speak right away.

Ela: I would have never come back without you. I'm sorry it took me so long.

Amel pressed his lips against her head.

Dei: You're back, that's all that matters.

Elain's sincere smile brought even more tears to Deianeira's eyes. It felt as if she had not seen that smile for ages. And she was determined not to lose it ever again.

Am: Let's go home now.

Elain's smile faded when she looked past Deianeira and saw the portal still open. Deianeira turned towards it too and they both left Amel's embrace. Elain gave Amel his sword, Leon's blood still dripping off it.

Ela: It's not over yet.

Amel wanted to stop them, he wanted to grab both of them and drag them back home. He had just gained them back, he could not see them leave him again.

Am: You are too weak now, you cannot throw yourselves into another battle.

Ela: We have to put an end to it once and for all.

Ela: I will be back, I promise.

Rm: Wait!

Elain was so sick of all the fights and she could not bear the thought of leaving unsolved things behind. For as much as Deianeira wanted to stay behind and enjoy some brief moments with her family, she knew that the battle was not over. But she would not pass without saying goodbye to him. She felt him running towards her and she knew that, if she risked not coming back, she wanted to have the chance to say her last goodbyes. On the contrary, Elain knew that, if she got the chance to hold onto Ramisu, she would not be able to bring herself to leaving him again. He would ask her to stay and she would not have the heart to break him into pieces again, to let him watch her leave again. She saw Amel's hand reaching for her wrist in an attempt to keep her there, but she took a few steps back.