Chapter 27

Deianeira & Elain

Deianeira & Elain

*****

Deianeira closed her eyes and let herself drawn back to the time when she and Elain lived with their parents. She sometimes looked through the eyes of her child self and sometimes through those of Lyserg. She saw how she did run into Lyserg's arms whenever he called her sparkle, before leaving her parents' home, but also how much she feared the tall man with long silver hair. Lyserg would always take her from him and that made her feel he was a good man. She also saw how proud Alyssa looked at her and Elain when they took their first steps, how Elain would cry when she cried, though not sure why, how Amel tried to be strict with them, in the end giving in and letting them touch his weapons. When he took them in his arms, not once did Deianeira see a frown; she only saw a big smile on his face, his big black eyes staring back at her as if he could not get enough of her. She saw as well the times when Amel would shout at them, when they refused to listen to him, when they were left alone in their room, hidden from unfriendly eyes, but none of those memories could have a greater impact on her than the smiles shared and the love she felt whenever she was hugged.

Lsg: Dei?

Having no signs from her, Lyserg checked on her and noticed that she was fast asleep and he stared at her for a while, his thoughts going back to Darion. Something within him told him he had reasons to be afraid of Darion, that he had to take Deianeira as far as possible. He had already gone against Leon, against his family, Ramisu and Deianeira were all he had, but, if he had to, he would give up on his own brother as well and run with her far enough to let everyone think they're dead. He could not bear the thought of someone else tasting her blood, holding her in his arms or calling her mine.

Elain woke up next to a tree, covered with a thick layer of snow. She felt cold and the boys were nowhere in sight so She got up, pulling her coat close to her chest. The wind was blowing and she could think about how cold a human must be in that weather, since even she, a dhampir, shivered. She could feel the boys close, but she could not see them, which made her feel anxious.

Ela: Darion! Eden! Where are you, guys?

A sudden noise was heard coming from above her.

Ela: Where have you been?

They simply jumped from the trees and wished at her happy birthday with bright smiles. Darion was holding a bouquet of winter roses, while Eden had in his hand a bouquet of daphnes. The latter gave her a hand to get up and cleaned the snow of her coat.

Dr: You didn't think we would actually forget?

Ed: We left you a couple of hours ago and we also went hunting, so that you can have all the bottles left.

Having even forgotten about her own birthday, Elain look at them utterly surprised, took the flowers and showed a large and sincere smile before hugging them. She would have never thought they would care enough as to surprise her like that and Darion could feel how happy such a simple gesture made her.