Chapter 108

Luna

Luna

*****

Elain wiped her mouth, after Leon let her take a few sips from him. And that only after he first drank from her. He made sure to stop her before his venom would affect her. The walls of the castle thundered under the heavy hits, the shouts of the vampires echoed throughout the hallways, reaching them all the way down into the catacombs. Luna was already preparing the ritual, drawing the circle around the tomb with her own blood. She surrounded herself with symbols of death: a glass filled with juice from grapes, representing the emptiness of the realm she was about to explore, rotten bread and animal bones. The scent of the sweet oil burning in the pot filled the room.

Ln: Everything is almost ready, Leon. I sent Terrion to bring the girl for the sacrifice.

Elain could feel Leon's excitement, but also something that seemed very much like fear. She starred into Leon's eyes and felt more and more the need to protect him.

Ela: I will not disappoint you, father.

Leon smiled at her and touched her forehead with his own.

L: I know. I promise you, daughter, we will succeed, we will have them beg for our mercy, they will all know our name and they will all serve the house of Daevos again.

He straightened his back, but Elain grabbed the edge of his cape, in an attempt to keep him beside her. Leon brushed her hair.

L: You will do well. Stay here with Luna, do what she's been preparing you for and I will do my part up there. I will keep all of them away from you.

Elain was staring at the mirror that showed Leon's smile. She could hear his soothing voice in that void and it made her feel at ease and panicked at the same time. She tried to touch it, but then the image got blurry and she felt a strong headache. All the mirrors were buzzing with unclear images, mixes of Leon and Amel, Luna and Deianeira.

She let go of his cape and nodded, ready to fight for him. The closer he was to her, the more he talked to her, the stronger her will to fight got. Leon left, leaving her with Luna.

Ela: What will you do if it fails?

She wanted to touch the tomb, but Luna grabbed her wrist.

Ln: Don't move anything, don't erase any rune. It will work, it has almost worked before. Now it will definitely work.

She could feel Deianeira getting closer. She took her place in front of Luna.

Ela: You've tried it before? I thought...

Ln: No, I have not. My ancestor did.

Elain waited. She did not show any signs of curiosity, but she did want to hear more. Luna kept talking, while arranging the clothes of the deceased on his tomb.