Chapter 60 - Little One

A/N: Thanks guys for sticking with me on this long ride. Creating this AU story for Dong Hua and his Xiao Bai for me has been the sweetest blessing during these crazy corona times. Hoping you guys and your families are safe and well. ❤️ I'm releasing this earlier than I normally would because I know everyone is eager to get to the sleepover :)

---

"Li Jing!" she whispered, still out of breath.

He held her firmly against him. "Little one, what are you doing here? You were almost eaten up by that demon," he said with wild and perplexed eyes.

By now her friends had drawn out their weapons and hurriedly were making their way over to the princess. A silver magical barrier was erected and prevented them from going any further. 

They were about five meters away and looked on as the Ghost Lord held her close and caressed her face. When they noticed the Ghost Lord's eyes appear to leer down at her chest while his fingers started to peel back the collar to her red robe, they began yelling and trying to throw energetic blasts to break down the barrier.

"Wait, wait!" said Cang Yi as he held up a hand to prevent his friends from continuing their assault.

"I think they know each other. Look at her, she doesn't look scared at, all. We need to trust Her Highness," he said as they helplessly looked on.

From behind the silver protection barrier she blinked slowly while looking at her old friend. "I'm fine though, Li Jing, you saved me," she whispered with an appreciative sweet smile.

Li Jing shook his head and focused his gaze slightly above her chest. His fingers slipped under the collar of her robe and pulled out her pendant that was still softly glowing, throbbing with ancient cosmic power.

"No," he said in a deep low voice. "I didn't save you, this did. I merely killed the demon."

She looked down at her jade peach blossom pendant being held between his fingers. "Oh, this, this is from Dijun ... he said it would protect me." She looked back at the Ghost Lord curiously whose eyes were still transfixed on it.

He sighed with relief at the recognition that Dong Hua had gone to such lengths to keep her safe. She was his last link to A Yin. And while he had initially associated her with the last vestige of his devotion to Bai Qian, he knew that they had developed a separate but precious bond. She was the little fox kit who came to sit by his feet during his most painful, remorseful, and hopeless moments. She was the only witness to his undying love for his A Yin and for this, he was forever grateful to her.

"Promise me you'll always wear this pendant. It'll keep you safe."

She nodded. "Li Jing, why are you still holding me so close? I'm fine, I'm not injured."

He gave her a small but dark smile. "I want to make your friends jealous," he said as they both turned to look over at the male immortals still clenching their weapons tightly, their knuckles turning white. Only Cang Yi seemed somewhat less full of angst, but he too, had a look of worry on his face.

Li Jing pulled her even closer into his body, wrapping both his arms around her waist while casting a smoldering look over to her friends.

"I'm sure your Gugu took you to see the mortal plays. Which scene am I trying to re-create?" he whispered playfully in her ear, while still making dominant and unapologetic eye-contact with her friends who just glared back at him.

She giggled. "This is where we pretend to be lovey-dovey even though we're not really so they get jealous!" she said conspiratorially. "Oh, but my friends are really nice to me, Li Jing, I feel bad doing this to them, even though I really love acting," she whispered back. She remembered when she and Dijun had acted as a couple in the Mortal Realm at the restaurant to make that horrible waitress jealous. She smiled at the memory.