Chapter 72 - It's Settled

(Image credit is not mine and belongs to the owner)

---

"Say it again," he whispered.

"...Spend the rest of your life cultivating with me on that path," she repeated while carefully studying his face.

There was silence.

The more she studied his face the more she became concerned.

Something wasn't right.

"Dijun ..."

"Dijun!"

He blinked.

"Dijun, the cookie," she said while she gingerly pointed at his mouth. "You have to chew it and then swallow it. You've had it in between the roof of your mouth and your tongue for quite a long while. Hasn't it become mush, now?"

It had. Dong Hua swallowed the macerated cookie.

"So ... yes? To what I said?"

"Yes," he replied.

"Good, then it's settled," she said with a smile.

"Wait, what's settled?" asked Dong Hua as he struggled to collect himself. His hold on reality had been blasted by her question, a meteor that came crashing through his psychic atmosphere.

"There will be no more talk of you trying to take back your primordial memory. I am keeper of half of it now," she said as she lightly bopped him on the nose.

"Wait, when did this happen?"

Oh, my librarian is so confused.

"Dijun, you already said yes. Are you telling me you're going to go back on your word? Here, have another peach cookie." She lightly deposited a cookie into his mouth. "Dijun, I think we should sit up. You might choke."

Dong Hua sat up in a daze as he slowly moved the cookie around in his mouth with his tongue.

"How about we read just one more chapter? It'll be morning soon. That means we would have stayed up for most of the night. I think this makes for quite the successful first sleepover for you. Don't you think?"

She had already arranged herself in her snuggled position next to him and held the book out to him expectantly.

He took it in slow motion. She sat waiting.

"Dijun, you have to open the book. Here have another peach cookie. Perhaps you're losing steam since we've been up all night. I knew you wouldn't be able to keep up with me."

She looked up at him as he thoughtfully chewed the cookie. "The rest of my life?" he asked while looking down at her.

"I ...  I mean unless that's too long for you..."

He wrapped his arm around her waist. "You'd have to feed me peach cookies for the rest of your life."

"Dijun, that's easy."

"You'd have to provide me with your protection for the rest of your life."

"Of course. "

"Will you comb my hair in the mornings?"

She took a section of his hair and held it.

She nodded.

"Will you watch the sunset with me in the evenings?"

"And the sunrise," she replied with a smile.

"You don't even know what you're saying, little fox."

"Yes I do," she replied insistently.