Chapter 69 - The Little Death

A/N: Thank you for all of your comments and votes! ❤️

---

Dong Hua felt like he was floating with her in some ethereal dimension. He imagined them snuggled into a tight hammock together suspended between the two pillars of time and space. He returned her sweet warm fox kiss as he deliberately and slowly nuzzled her nose with his. 

That was when he felt the world somersault underneath him, dragging him along with it.

The sensation was like being dumped out of the hammock as he was thrown down on his back.

He opened his eyes to see her on top of him. She had used the element of surprise as well as a small blast of her cultivation and had knocked him over senseless. She sat straddled over his thighs and pinned him down by an amazing show of force from her little arms.

He was breathless as he blinked up at her.

"The wrestling portion of the sleepover has now commenced!" her little voice boomed out dramatically as if she was announcing to spectators. She proceeded to peel and shrug the pink outer robe off and threw it over the bed.

Dong Hua said nothing as he tried to assess the delightful yet bizarre situation on top of him.

"How ... can something commence when the other side doesn't even know what's happening?" he asked slowly still trying to find his bearings.

"That's the first rule of Qing Qiu wrestling," she said matter-of-factly. "We never let our opponents know when we will make our first move."

His eyes looked up at her bewilderedly. He then looked down to see his hands on her hips. They must have been placed there during some sort of failed defensive reflex. He decided to allow them to rest there while he continued trying to understand his predicament.

"So you're telling me that the kits and cubs of Qing Qiu just randomly attack each other. Are there no arbitrators or judges? Are there no defined parameters to the wrestling? No wonder your ear almost got torn off. That is not wrestling, Xiao Bai. That is an ambush."

She crossed her arms over her chest and released a huff. "Of course there are parameters. And we don't randomly attack one another; we're not barbarians. There is an agreement that we will engage in wrestling, it's just that there is no agreed upon formal time when the wrestling starts. It's usually within the hour. This keeps us on the tips of our paw-toes; we have to stay vigilant."

Dong Hua could not move past his confusion. "But, I have made no such agreement with you to engage in wrestling."

"But, I told you earlier when you asked me about sleepovers. I told you about the activities my friends and I engaged in. Were you not paying attention?" she asked in a slightly chiding tone. 

"I most definitely was paying attention. I was, however, unaware that we would be recreating your past sleepover exploits. I am neither a cub ... nor am I a kit."

She leaned forward and bopped his nose lightly with the tip of her finger. "You are a Dong Hua," she said as she propped her chin into her palm as her elbows dug into his chest. He found her positioning fully adorable and slightly predatory. She blinked at him unabashedly. Suddenly, he was thankful for his rock-hard body, as she had referred to it. Her little elbows continued to dig into him.

"You can take your time to think about partaking in the wrestling portion of the sleepover. I'll wait," she said sweetly as though he had any choice in the matter.

She gave him a slight reprieve from having holes in his chest by resting on her arms as she grabbed some of his hair to play with. It was too easy for him to wrap his arms around her in this position.