Chapter 84 - Love Is a Battlefield

A/N: Anhui, China image by Huper by Joshua Earle at Unsplash.com

Chapter title taken from Pat Benatar's song, "Love Is a Battlefield"

---

It was a wonderful feeling to fly over mountains, verdant forests, azure lakes, rivers, and seemingly endless stretches of beautiful scenery with Mogu in the early morning. The sun was still hidden under the horizon but its rays were far-reaching and painted the sky in yellow, orange, and pink hues.

Her favorite part was feeling the wind on her face. 

"Mogu, this is amazing. This will never get old," she shouted out to her mount as his impressive wings flapped through the air. She took a bite of her roasted sweet potato. It had surprisingly manifested in her hand when she and Mogu had just left the Nine Heavens.

"Master knew Mistress would love having a mount. He said Mistress was a little fox that was made to soar amongst clouds during the day and shine amongst the stars at night."

"Really?" she exclaimed.

"Yes, really. I cannot do such nice talk like Master."

"Mogu, you may not do nice talk like your master, but your talk is definitely special," she said while laughing to herself about his frightening protectiveness that morning.

"Mogu! The sun is rising, look!"

"Mistress, it rises every morning," he said as if he was making a profound announcement.

"I wish Dijun could see this with me."

"Master has never ridden me with anyone else. Last night was the first time."

"So we both had a first! Not only was my first time flying last night, it was the first time I was so close to the stars," she smiled.

"Master will spend the rest of his life having firsts with Mistress," roared out the beast into the morning warmth.

She was so enchanted by the breath-taking views that she had forgotten to tell him where to land but somehow he still knew. She soon saw white figures scrambling to come together as the winged-immortal beast stealthily and quietly landed on a raised mound of grass over-looking the courtyard of the main hall of Kun Lun.

Mogu sat down completely close to the ground to allow her to dismount. She looked down at the scene before her.

 She looked down at the scene before her

"Almost Eighteenth!" yelled out Zi Lan. "Come down here to respectfully greet your uncles!"

She smiled brightly and hurried to jump down and ran over to them. He was the first to approach her.

"Look at you," he said as he smiled and looked her up and down. She smiled breathlessly at him.

He gazed at her warmly. "Wow you've really ..."