Chapter 87: On the Road Again

Alita's Point of View

Ash and I's silent singing was cut off by Carl.

"Dad, look." Carl says as we looked forwards I see three cars stopped in the road.

"I'm gonna head into the woods, circle back." Daryl tells us.

"May I come with?" Carol asks, seeing me.

"No. No, just me." Daryl says before leaving, as Maggie and Glenn headed forwards and checks out the cars as we stayed put.

Once they came back we got on the side of the road and we sat down.

I looked over when some branches snapped to see Daryl coming back, he comes over and plops down next to me.

"So, all we found was booze?" Tara asks, when Abraham pulls out a bottle and takes a drink.

"Yeah." Rosita confirms.

"It's not gonna help." Tara points out.

"He knows that." Rosita responds to her.

"It's gonna make it worse." Tara pointed out.

Soon I started zoning out of the conversation, as I turned around to hearing growls starts, and I see four dogs stand behind us growling and barking at us, their fur covered in blood.

We pulled our knives, but before either side can move a string of sliced shots went out.

The dogs whimpered before falling to the ground dead, I felt bad for them, but if Sasha wouldn't have we could have been hurt, sighing I relaxed on the ground until Foxy jumps back, growling.

Looking to the trees I see another dog step out, but what really got my attention is the smaller growl that joins it.

I was looking under the dog, a chihuahua standing with it's head sticking out, the little thing growls and barks at us.

I raised an eyebrow, I hear Sasha reload so I threw one of my hands up stopping her.

As I stepped forwards the Siberian Husky jumps back, once I see that it's scared, I get down to a kneeling position.

"Hey, buddy, I'm not gonna hurt you." I whispered, but it keeps backing away while the Chihuahua stands tall snapping at me, as I rolled my eyes I reached out fast.

I grabbed the little dog, he thrash's trying to get away, but I just carry him over to the group with Foxy behind me, as I sat down I noticed the husky inching closer to us.

As Daryl cleans the dogs, and Glenn starts a fire, the husky finally comes over to me.

I slowly reached out letting it sniff my hand before I began to pet it, after a minute it comes over and lays next to me.

Foxy wags his tail as he crawls closer to the new dog sniffing him in delight.

I smiled at the two as the Husky finally starts to wag it's tail.

The Chihuahua sits quietly in my arms after coming to terms that I'm not letting it go.

"Second chance." Carl mumbles, I smiled at the young boy.

"Second chance." I agreed with him. I felt a bit bad, not just from eating dog meat.

But from feeding my dogs, dog meat, thus making them cannibals, or they starve, it's a dark moment.

"What are ya gonna name those things?" Rick asks, and I glanced at him before looking at the dogs.

"Sam." I said patting the Siberian Husky.

"And... Goliath." I named pointing at the Chihuahua.

"You sure that name fits?" Rick asks, and I glanced over at him.

"Eat me, Rick." I told him.

"No, no.... That's your husband's job." He replied.

I choked spitting out the food I was chewing, and I slipped him off before going back to eating, the joy from that little interaction fades fast...

Soon we got back on the road once we finish our meal, the dogs trot at my side.

I smiled a little seeing how happy Foxy looked to have them with him.

"Alita." I heard Glenn say, as I glanced over at him, he holds out a water bottle.

"Thanks." I mumbled, I took a sip before handing it back.

"You need more than that." Glenn tells me.

"No, the others need it more." I argued, then I looked back but I don't see Daryl, I stopped walking.

"He went to look for water." Abraham mumbles as he walks past me, I sighed nodding, running a hand through my hair.

Then I started walking again, but a little slower than I normally would.

We come to a stop when we finally find bottle and jugs of water in the middle of the road with a note that says from a couple of friends, we're pondering this Daryl shows back up.

Rick goes over and hands him the paper, he takes the bow off his back looking around,

"What else are we gonna do?" Tara asks, as Daryl whistles to me, and I followed on what he did with my crossbow.

"Not this. We don't know who left it." Rick tells her.

"If that's a trap, we already happen to be in it. But I, for one, would like to think it is indeed from a couple of friends." Eugene says.

"What if it isn't? They put something in it?" Carol asks, and I nodded.

"Let's give some to the dogs and see." Abraham suggested.

"**** can try." Ash, and I dared, Eugene reaches forwards and grabs a bottle.

"Eugene." Rosita calls.

"What are you doing, dude?" Tara questions.

"Quality assurance." He responds opening it, but before he can drink it.

Abraham slaps the bottle out of his hand, and it's quiet for a second.

"We can't." Rick concludes, as thunder rumbles over head followed by rain, and I smiled a little as the rain pours down.

Laughing erupts from the group, some lay out in it.

I opened my mouth letting it soothe my dry throat, as I ran my hands through my hair hoping to clean it a little.

I remembered playing out in the rain when I was younger.

"Everybody get the bags. Anything you can find." Rick orders.

I see Ash grab her bag and she looked up at me as I rolled my eyes and I helped her dig out the empty water bottles, as I placed the last bottle out I looked up and see Daryl.

My heart clinches seeing that look on his face, I walked over to him, and I rested my hand on his cheek.

He looks at me and rests his hand over mine, pulling him in I rest my forehead against his.

Gently I push his hair out of his face, while kissing his cheek, once I pulled away I looked him in the eyes.

"Come on— Enjoy it while it's here." I whispered, he takes a deep breath and closes his eyes.

With a heavy sigh, tilts his head back, and I smiled at him before resting my head on his shoulder.

The joy from the rain is short lived when the thunder grows louder and the sky darkened, Daryl pulls me closer to him.

"Let's keep moving." Rick shouts over the thunder.

"There's a barn." Daryl tells him.

"Where?" Rick asks...