Chapter 32: Helping the Prisoners Pt.2

No One's Point of View

Carl unlocked the door for Alita as she walked into the other room to find Daryl sitting on one of the tables, his crossbow sitting on his lap while the prisoners were all sitting at the other table, talking amongst themselves. Daryl glanced over his shoulder hearing the door open as his eyes landed on Alita and she gave him a soft smile.

"Hershel?" Daryl asked as Alita took a seat next to him, resting her crossbow on her lap wanting to have it out ready in case something happened.

"They stopped the bleeding and he doesn't have a fever. But his pulse is weak and he hasn't woken up, yet." She answered looking over at Daryl who nodded. 

Both of them were worried about the older man, they shared a really close connection and Alita hoped Hershel would pull through. A few minutes passed before Rick and T-Dog walked in with a bunch of crowbars and metal pipes while Alita sighed with relief that Rick wasn't giving them any serious weapons.

"Why do I need this, when I got this?" The leader questioned putting the crowbar down on the table as he pulled his gun back out. Alita tenses slightly gripping her crossbow tighter by her side as she eyed the leader carefully.

"Ya don't fire guns, not unless your back's up against a wall. Noise attracts 'em. It really riles them up." Daryl answered and Alita could feel his hand gently press against the back of her left hand to try to get her to relax as she stared at the leader.

"We'll go in two by two. Daryl will run point with T. I'll bring up the rear with you. Alita and the rest of you will be in the middle. Stay tight, hold formation no matter how close the walkers get. Anyone breaks rank, we could all go down. Anyone runs off, they could get mistaken for a walker, and ends up with an axe to the head." Rick explained, glancing around at each of the prisoners to make sure they all understood him. 

Alita looked over at Daryl who was already looking at her with an uncertain look on his face and she knew he wasn't liking the idea of her being away from him, but she gave him a reassuring nod.

"And that's where ya aim. These things only go down with a head shot." Daryl added, looking over at the prisoners.

"Ain't gotta tell us how to take out a man." The leader stated and none of Rick's group said anything for a few seconds as Alita stares at him. 

Well at least she knew what this guy was in prison for. The shouldn't be helping these people, they were in here for a reason and now they knew one of them is a murder

"They ain't men. They're something else." T-Dog finally responded and Alita nodded slinging her crossbow over her shoulder.

Alita's Point of View

"Just remember to go for the brain." I said staring at the leader, not bothering to look at the others before I began walking towards the door and the others followed. 

Daryl and T-Dog took the lead, walking in front of the rest of us, their flashlights and weapons up as I walked behind them with the leader and a few other prisoners, while Rick and another guarded the rear.

"Man, it's too **** dark in here." One of the prisoners complained and I had to bite back my response knowing I'd be going to say something sarcastic or rude.

"Gotta hold it up high out in front of ya. You're gonna hear 'em before ya see 'em." Daryl muttered, looking over his shoulder at the prisoner as his eyes glancing over at me before he turned around and focused back on the task at hand. 

Suddenly I could hear the familiar groans of walkers and Daryl quickly made us all stop as I looked ahead to find a few walkers turning the corner towards us.