Chapter 26: Win and Relax

Alita's Point of View

Rick cuts a hole in the fence and we made our way through... Glenn uses some wire and it together, as we made our way to the gate, the walkers started to beat on the fence. I was back in human form so we could do this, even me.

"It's perfect." Rick says once we get to the gate.

"If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight." Rick plans.

"So, how do we shut that gate?" Hershel asks. Soon Glenn and Maggie were arguing about who was going to shut it until Rick started talking again.

"No, you, Maggie, T-Dog, and Beth draw as many as you can over there. Pop 'em through the fence. Daryl, go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot. Take your time. We don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel, you and Carl take this tower. I'll run for the gate." Rick says as I looked at him and nodded.

"I'll go with you. Watch your back." I said, as Rick looks at me and goes to argue, I put my hand up.

"It's happening, Rick." I said as he smiles a little and nodded.

I listen to the others shout and the sounds of them killing the walkers, my heart beats hard as I waited for Lori to open the gate. Rick nods and she pulls it open, I gripped my knife hard as I follow closely behind Rick.

I kill every walker that gets to close as he shoots a couple, out snipers shoot the walkers that are roaming around in the yard.

When Rick gets the gate, we turn to the walkers, killing a couple before we went into a guard tower, where we started to shoot the undead. 

Rick and I fired and killed the last walker still moving, as Rick chuckles a little, looking over our new territory. Rick turns to me giving a hug, when we let go I looked back over the yard.

"Good job, Officer Friendly." I said patting his back, he chuckles and we head down the stairs so we can meet up with the group, I smiled hearing them cheer. 

I hugged Rick, Beth, Maggie, Glenn, Carol, T-Dog, Lori and Hershel while giving Carl a fist bump. I squealed when someone picked me up, I turned my head to see Daryl holding me up smiling a bit.

"Pick me down, please." I said laughing.

He sets me down, but gave me a big kiss before letting me go. Later that night I stood with Daryl on top of a bus that lays on its side, I looked over at my family, who sits around the fire their conversation was a mere mumble to me at this distance. 

I pulled my jacket a little tighter as a cool wind hits me, Daryl wraps his arms around my waist resting his chin on my shoulder. I leaned him, enjoying the warmth he let off.

"For the days to be so hot, you'd expect the nights not to drop off so much." I said as Daryl hums in agreement.

"Don't worry, I'll keep you warm." He replies as I smiled softly.

"Thank you, Mr. Dixon." I said mockingly just to get on his nerves.

"If you don't want me too, I'll just leave ya alone." He says as he starts to remove his arm, but I held them in place shining, he chuckles a bit.

"That's what I thought." He says kissing my shoulder lightly, yet he finds out that I was really warm. He looked really surprised at me, as I chuckled.

"I'm sorry if you are dating a hybrid." I said smiling at his reaction.

"S'okay. I know it ain't your fault." He said snuggling against me. 

We stood like that for a while when we heard a noise, turning around we see Carol. I gave her a hand as Daryl picks up the food she brought.

"It's not much, but if I don't bring y'all something, y'all won't eat at all." She says as I smiled at her.

"Thank you, Carol." I said as she smiles back with a nod.

"I guess little Shane over there has got quite the appetite." Daryl says as I snort biting my lip to keep myself from laughing. I lightly pushed Daryl grabbing some of the meat from the plate.

"Don't be mean. Rick's gotten us a lot farther than I ever thought he would, I'll give him that." Carol says, I nodded looking at the man as he walks along the fences for the third time.

"Shane could never have done that." I nodded at Carol's words, as she looks at both of us.

"Come join us by the fire." She says as I looked at Daryl before looking back at her, I nodded.

"Okay, we'll be there in a second." I responded as she smiles and climbs down.

I turned to Daryl as he takes another bite; I grabbed some chuckling as I chewed. Daryl looks at me with an eyebrow raised.

"What?" He asked as I shook my head.

"What you said about 'little Shane', that was wrong." I said as he smiles at me.

"You're wrong for laughing at it." He says as I nodded.

"Maybe, but you better be nice." I said as he looks at me in a playful, challenging way.

"Why is that?" He asks playfully, as I put my arms around his neck.

"I might have to punish you next time." I told him finding it hard to hold back my laughter, and he grabs my hips lowering his voice.

"I might like that." He responds to me smiling a bit.

"Eww!" I said smacking his chest as he laughs pulling me into a hug which I returned. Soon, I was hearing the others from where I was.

"Bethy, sing 'Paddy Reilly' for me. I haven't heard that I think, since your mother was alive." Hershel says to Beth.

"Daddy, not that one, please." Maggie says as Hershel looks at her, then back at the fire.

"How about 'The Parting Glass'?" Hershel asks as Beth looks over at him.

"No one wants to hear." She tells him, looking a bit nervous.

"Why not?" Glenn asks.

Beth looks at him before agreeing to sing, later Maggie joins her. I smiled a little, with my heading resting on Daryl's shoulder, as they sang. 

I looked over at everyone, I let out a breath feeling that my family and I are safe for once more. Daryl puts his arm around me, when they got through, I clapped a little causing Beth and Maggie to smile some more. 

Both of them knew I was an artist and did many other stuff before this.

"Better all turn in. I'll take watch over there. We got a big day tomorrow." Rick says as I looked at him.

"What do you mean?" Glenn asks him.

"Look, I know we're all exhausted. This was a great win. But we've got to push just a little bit more. Most of the walkers are dressed as guards and prisoners. Looks like this place fell pretty early. It could mean the supplies are maybe still intact. They'd have an infirmary, a commissary." Rick pointed out.

"An armory?" Daryl asks the man.

"That would be outside the prison itself, but not too far away. Warden's office would have info on the location. Weapons, food, medicine. This place could be a gold mine." Rick says as I nodded.

"We're dangerously low on ammo. We'd run out before we can make a dent." Hershel tells Rick.

"That's why we have to go in there... Hand in hand. After all we've been through, we can handle it, I know it. These ******** don't stand a chance." Rick says as I took a deep breath.

"Okay boss..." I said as Rick looks at me and smiles lightly before standing up and walking off, Lori gets up to follow Rick.

'Well that conversation is not going to end well.' I thought to myself before everyone began getting their stuff ready for the night. 

Daryl and I laid down in the on the other side of the campfire, using our bags as pillows and his poncho for a blanket as Daryl rested one of his hands over my waist pulling me closer into his chest.