Frain: A Christmas Proposal

It was Christmas morning and Freddie was woken up by his boyfriend. He rubbed his eyes and looked into Brian’s, wide with excitement as though he had been awake for hours. 

“It’s going to be a beautiful day today.”

“Is today a special day?” Freddie teased.

“Yes, it’s Saturday. The best day of the week. Football is on, full English in a bit, some drinks later.”

“Anything else?”

Brian looked curiously at him, thought for a moment, and replied with a simple not that I can think of. He was, however, running over a plan in his mind.

“It’s Christmas Day, darling.”

“Today? Well of course it is!” Brian laughed and cuddled his boyfriend, kissing the hand in which he hoped to place a ring on that day. He’d had a feeling it was going to snow, and he couldn’t think of anything more romantic than proposing on a snowy day.

The two had been together for almost five years, and Freddien had been his rock after the accident, nearly a year ago. He didn’t remember it and didn’t want to remember it. It had affected Freddie too, and for a long time he would become frustrated with him, himself, the situation. Brian had felt as though he had taken up a mother figure and longed for the days that they would be equals again. 

But eventually, when he was out of the wheelchair and back to living a life as close to normal as possible, their relationship had restarted. Days spent together seemed to pass by without Brian even noticing, and he wanted to spend as many of those days married to Freddie as he could. He’d never given up on him.

Freddie handed Brian his breakfast and swept his dark hair away from his face. His warm brown eyes were so tired. Sometimes Brian worried about him.

“Are you going to watch the first game with me?” Brian asked.

“No football on today, babe. We can watch a film instead, if you like.” Freddie suggests 

“No football? Why?” Brian pouts,

“It’s Christmas Day.” Freddie kisses  his boyfriend on the head and sits down to begin his food.

Freddie looked outside and saw snow trickling down, starting to settle on their grass. It reminded him of the first Christmas that the couple had spent in their cottage, and he sighed at how he had let the garden get so out of hand. Then, he smiled to himself thinking about how Brian had tried to put the star on the top of their tree, gotten his foot stuck in the lights and fallen from his chair, taking the tree down with him. Fred didn’t think he had ever laughed so much in his life. But while thinking about it, he realised his cheeks had become wet with tears.

“What are you thinking about?” Brian asked, noticing his boyfriend’s eyes begin to glaze over.

“Nothing, I just love when it snows.”

“Me too.” Brian says sipping from his coffee mug. 

Once breakfast had finished, Brian had decided that this was going to be his moment. Freddie cleaned the plates and he hurried to the living room to turn on their record player. Fred had always said that Songbird was their song, as Brian had put on his Fleetwood Mac CD in the car when he drove them to their first date. 

He hadn’t remembered that being his favourite song, but whenever Fred played it, Brian said it felt like listening to it for the first time again. Brian put the vinyl in, got down on one knee and waited. Being a simple person, he’d known that this was the kind of proposal Freddie would have wanted.