Chapter 10

Matt's POV: As we arrived on scene of the fire, I sighed considering we were not the first truck on scene. "So much for a quiet first day as Chief." I then looked over at Cruz and Hermann. "Captain, acting Lieutenant Cruz. Walk with me." They both nodded and agreed when we saw who it was. We were going to be backup for Firehouse 90. That house just so happened to belong to one of our former Captains, Dallas Patterson. Walking over, I looked at him. "Chief Patterson, you requested backup?" Patterson then turned to look at me. "Who's the chief here now guys?"

I smiled and laughed. "You're looking at him. What you need us to do?" Patterson smiled as he went to shake my hand. "Congratulations Matt. Now, we are dealing with a high rise and a hotel. The fire just jumped. If we deal with the high rise, can you deal with the hotel?" I nodded and agreed. "Cruz, Hermann. We're on the hotel." They nodded and agreed as I looked at him. "How many ambos we need? We have our ambos from each house? You want more?" Patterson nodded. "Can you be my liaison with that? You used to be a paramedic."

I nodded and agreed. "And I am married to a paramedic. 3 kids now. So, sure thing." I then watched as Ambo 61 opened their doors. "Guys, get signs out. I want you both ready to go." Ambo 61 and Ambo 85 then did as they were told. That's when I saw Isaac Davidson walk over to his wife in paramedic outfit rather than his fire suit. Walking over, I looked at him. "Davidson!" Isaac then turned to look at me and smiled. "Hey Matt, how are Gabby and the kids?" I smiled and went to hug him. "Good, been meaning to get congrats. You guys help with triage. You were on mission so you guys are good.

 I then went to radio to main. "Chief Casey to Main." I then looked at Hermann and Cruz. Main then replied to me. "Go ahead Chief Casey, and congrats on the promotion and kids." I agreed. "Thanks. Can we get more ambos and a spare engine to Halsted?" I then looked at Patterson. "Patterson, you want an extra engine for your fire or you good?" Dallas then looked at me and nodded. "Chief Patterson to main." Main then replied to him. "Go ahead Patterson." Patterson then went ahead with his demand. "Can we get backup engine on Monroe St?" 

Main then agreed. "You and 51 working this together?" He agreed. "Yes, now let's get to work." I then nodded. "I am not going in. Lung problems." He agreed. "Then you work from out here then, I will go in with our groups." I smiled and agreed. "Of course." That's when Hermann walked over to me. "Chief, we going to all the floors of the hotel?" I nodded. "Talk to front desk and see what rooms were occupied." Hermann agreed. "Got it Chief!" He then ran inside while I radioed to Truck 81. "Truck 81, make your way up the stairs. Wait for instructions on floors."

I then decided to also radio to Gaffney to let them know what was happening. "51 to Med." That's when I heard Chicago Med's relay officer speak to me. "Go ahead Chief." I agreed. "Get ER ready for massive influx. We have a hotel and high rise on fire, 3 blocks northeast of you." I then went to look at my paramedics. Walking over to them, I just looked at them. "I already radioed med. They know you are coming in with mass casualties. They already know. So, just drop and come back okay?" Noah Valdez nodded and agreed. "You driving Gianna?" Paramedic-in-Chief Gianna Mackey agreed. "On route. Be back in 5 chief." I agreed. 

Walking away from the ambulance I saw that people started to gather around our trucks. "Okay, everybody back. We are working here." People then looked at me. "You guys are going to get us killed. We are packed too tight." I then shook my head before going to call Platt. "Chief Casey to CPD." CPD then replied. "Go ahead 51, District 21 responding." I then agreed. "Can we get uniforms out here? I need crowd control. Massive fire." They agreed. "On route chief." I then took a deep breath and watched as the house worked together.