Chapter 78

Matt's POV: As I arrived at the firehouse, I walked in to see that Gabby was struggling with Matteo. "I don't want to leave! I want to be here when papa comes back!" Walking in with my radio, I smiled at him. "Well, you got your wish." Matteo then turned to look at me and ran over to hug me. "Papa!" I then bent down and looked at him. "No fighting with your mom okay? Listen, we are going to the hospital for a minute okay? You remember your cousin Diego?" Matteo nodded and agreed. 

"He was at my fire scene. So, he's there with uncle Tonio and aunt Sylvie. So, we are going to go visit them okay?" Matteo nodded and agreed as I got up and walked over to Gabby. Wrapping my arm around her, I looked at her. "Am I in trouble with you? I promise, I didn't go into the building...I just went up the aerial to get him. That's all I did." Gabby smiled and agreed. "I understand. You wanted to bring him down safely." I nodded and kissed her. "Listen, we are going to the hospital to see him. But, you are coming back after."

Gabby smiled and agreed as she put her hand on my cheek. "I wouldn't want to be anywhere other than here today." I smiled as I went to kiss her softly when I heard Hermann come back. "Okay love birds, get out of here and go see your nephew." I laughed as I turned to look at him. "I have my radio Hermann. I am going to take the Chief's car just in case. Gabby, can you drive the van with me?" Gabby nodded and understood. "Of course." I smiled at her. "Get going, I am going to talk to the guys for a minute okay? Just wait out there."

Gabby smiled and agreed as she went to walk away with the kids. Meanwhile, I walked over to the other men. "Listen, I want to thank you on behalf of my family for saving Diego." That's when Severide walked over. "What does that mean for you?" I smiled. "Oh, don't worry...I'll be back. I am just going to the hospital quickly to give my nephew a lecture." I then looked over my shoulder to see Gabby get in the car. "Go ahead, I'll be right there." Gabby nodded and agreed as she looked at me. "Don't be too long. 3 kids remember?" I nodded and smiled.

Gabby then went to get in the van and drove away. Turning to look at Severide, I sighed. "Next fire, just keep Lee Henry in the truck for me okay? I know I took him out last call but, he got sent back because it was Lakeshore." Hermann then walked over to me. "I'm not in trouble for sending him back into the truck am I?" I shook my head. "You made the right decision. You are his dad and I have to respect that while he isn't the official candidate. However, when he is the candidate...you are not to disturb me. In fact, when his gear is here...you are to let him go into fires. I don't care if he's not officially ours...I want to get him started ASAP."

Hermann smiled and agreed. "Sure thing, on Severide's hip." I nodded and agreed. "Now listen, I have to head to the other hospital that's open. Go see my idiot nephew and give him a lecture." Hermann agreed. "Want me to get Lee Henry to do anything else?" I thought about him. "You know the book of procedures that we give to all new candidates?" Severide nodded. "Get him to start reading that. Both the Squad version and the normal version. If he decides to change, then we can do that." Severide agreed. "Who would be his leader?" I smiled. "Stella when she's back."

Severide agreed and nodded. "Okay then. Actually, can he just be the candidate? I can train him for squad at a later date. When Stella comes back, I want her on my truck until she's back into shape." That's when I heard Stella get out of the ambulance. "Hey, he's all good at the hospital." I nodded and agreed. "Thanks Stella for being on Ambo. Now listen, I am off to the hospital to check on him too." Stella agreed and smiled. "By the way Severide, I am not going on Squad. That is not happening. I am staying on Truck as it's Lieutenant." I agreed and smiled.

"Sorry Severide, you may be my captain but...I still need to respect my firefighter's wishes. Now listen, you guys to check on your little guy. Sorry but Gabby left him alone for a bit." Stella nodded and agreed as she went to check on him. Meanwhile, I turned to look at Severide. "I will see you at the next fire scene. I am off to the hospital." Severide nodded and agreed as he went to rub my back before walking into the firehouse to see Stephen. Meanwhile, I walked over to my truck so that I could go join the family at the hospital.