Grissom Meeting

Matt's POV: As I made my way into Grissom's office, I smiled as I looked around. "Wow, so this is what it looks like from the top eh?" Grissom then turned to look at me and nodded as he went to take off his jacket. "Please, have a seat Matt." I then looked at him and nodded as I sat down. "Of course Grissom." He looked at me when he went to sit down. "First of all, please relax. It's Carl now Matt. I always allow my Chiefs to call me Carl." I agreed and nodded while relaxing. "Sorry, I am just nervous. I mean, I still feel like my appointment as Chief is something you can undo."

Grissom shook his head when I said that. "No, your appointment is permanent. Now, a bit of personal things first. How are the kids and the wife?" I laughed and smiled when he asked. "Good. Sorry again about yesterday. It's just...I promised my wife I would always try to put he and our family first." Sitting down at his desk, Carl then looked at me and let me speak. "I am trying my best to follow up on that. My wife has OCD and Anxiety so, I have to be careful." Grissom nodded and agreed. "I understand. And I get it. A lot of my chiefs do it, no problem."

I smiled and agreed with him. "Just to let you know, I have already worked it out with the paramedic chief that she stays at my firehouse. With her disorders, I would prefer it that way. And then with the kids, it's just easier." Grissom smiled and agreed again. "Okay, enough with the pleasantries. Let's start this. First of all, I want to let you know that I understand you have yet to finish the budget for your firehouse this year?" I sighed. "I was just going to continue with Boden's budget from the previous Fiscal Year. I will file an updated one if required."

Grissom nodded and understood. "Good, now I also understand you have already taken it upon yourself to change things around at the firehouse?" I laughed and nodded. "Okay, be completely honest with me Grissom. How much talking to Severide did you do before our meeting. That way, I know what you already know and what I need to explain." He laughed when I said that. "Smart. I like that in my chiefs. Severide already told me everything that has happened since you took over. I heard about a blow up at a scene though or at the hospital after a call?"

I sighed and shook my head. "This does not go on my wife's record okay? She has not yet started as a paramedic again. We haven't filed for her to be on maternity leave so, she can stay off as long as she wants. But...I did blow up at her for bringing our kids to a fire scene. I was mad. But that is all I am going to say. I know it's unprofessional and I am not proud that I did it while wearing the CFD uniform but...I had to do it to make sure that my wife did not do it again." Grissom nodded and agreed with me when I heard a knock on the door. 

Turning around, I saw it was Severide. Grissom then looked up at me. "Mind if he joins?" I sighed and nodded. "As long as you keep the conversation on me for a bit. Sorry but, I am here to do business. I have an hour and then I am due downstairs to speak to the candidates. And then we are both due at the firehouse" Grissom nodded and understood. "Come in Severide." Severide nodded and agreed as he walked up to him and hugged him. "How are you Grissom?" He then shook his hand. "Congratulations and have a seat."

I then got up and went to hug him. "Thanks for rescheduling." Severide nodded and agreed. "Not like I have a choice considering it was a chief's order." I laughed and agreed with him. "Shut up or else I am going to make sure you only take your paternity leave when Stella is back. I already told you that I need my Squad Lieutenant/future Captain for a little bit." Severide nodded and agreed. Grissom then looked at him. "Wait, you are taking the Captain's exam?" Severide nodded and agreed. "Later Carl okay? I don't want to make my boss mad."

He laughed and agreed as he looked at me. "Okay, continue. Now listen, can I just get a pass for the first shift? I was stressed and the Gabby stuff..." Grissom nodded and agreed. "Of course Chief. Now listen, I get you are new here and we have already agreed you need time to settle in but, I do expect you to remain impartial when it comes to your friends at the firehouse. I will give you an exemption when it comes to your wife but, I want you to be impartial with everybody else. Including your other paramedics." I sighed when he said that.

Severide then looked at him. "About that Carl. You know Sylvie Brett?" Carl nodded. "Yes, she just went on maternity leave for the second time." Severide nodded and agreed. "She is Matt's sister-in-law. Married to intelligence officer Antonio Dawson." Grissom nodded and understood before turning to look at me. "Let's just do this instead. Keep your men safe and you will stay in my good books." I laughed when he said that and nodded. "Trust me, I will. Just tell your star candidate there to stop passing out in buildings. My lungs aren't fit for service."

Grissom looked at me. "Right, you were the Captain that put in for early pension. How bad are your lungs if you don't mind me asking?" I sighed and looked at him. "Code Orange." Grissom seemed shocked. "At your age?" I nodded. "Fell off the wagon a bit after a bad divorce. We got back together 2 years ago and stuff has been smooth sailing." Grissom smiled and agreed. "That's good. Now, let's get down to business. I am not going to waste your time when I know you are also both here for scouting." I laughed and agreed. "Yes." 

Grissom then turned to look at Severide. "By the way Severide, screw the Captain's exam. I am positive you would pass. Between your dad and me, you already know your stuff. Consider it my wedding/baby gift. You're promoted." I was shocked when he said that. Severide then just sat there. "Can you even do that?" Grissom nodded. "I can promote you whenever I want to. The Captain's exam is only required if you apply to be a captain. It's not required for a promotion." I smiled and looked at Severide. "Captain Severide, congratulations."

We all laughed and agreed as I rubbed my friend's back. "You can tell Stella on your way to the firehouse." He agreed and smiled as we got down to business with chief Grissom. "And you can pick up your new white shirts on your way out as well. Change into them when you are done. Oh and let me just do a quick ceremony. We can do a public one when we are done grieving." Severide nodded and agreed. "Now, let's talk." We all agreed and got to talking before scouting.

NOTE: I know on the show, people were able to get the Captain promotion without another test. However, you needed to write a test to become a Lieutenant. So, I am going to follow the lead of the show and just do what I just did.