February 9, 2022

Matt's POV: As I woke up the next morning, I realized that I was alone in bed and that Gabby was nowhere to be found. At least, until I heard water running.. Turning my head to check the time, I saw it was only 5:30 and started to get worried about what was wrong. Getting up and going to check on the babies, I saw they were both still asleep after their last feeding earlier that morning. That's when I decided to go see what was up with Gabby. Taking off my boxers, I went to grab my towel before wrapping it around my waist and putting my boxers in the laundry. Once that was done, I went to walk towards the washroom and opened the door to see Gabby was not in the shower. Instead, she was standing at the counter crying. "Hey, go back to bed."

I then shook my head as I walked over to her. "Not a chance." Walking over to her, I then went to turn her around. "Gabby, you are crying. What's wrong babe?" Gabby then turned to look at me while putting her hand on my chest. Grabbing her hand, I whispered to her. "Gabby, please don't tell me it's that you think you are pregnant?" Gabby then shook her head. "No, I just feel like a bad mom right now. Why did we send Matteo to your mom's place when we knew he wants to be with us as much as possible. I mean, he barely knows her and is scared out of his mind. I heard it in his voice Matt. It's not that he was worried about us...he was worried about being there. With someone he barely knows. And I hate that." I nodded and understood, holding her close to me.

Gabby then moved her hands on my neck and looked at me. "Matt, I need your advice. What do I do? How to I approach this situation? I am so lost right now." I then went to rub her arm. "Well, you did the first part right. You came to me with your worries and you are telling me what's going on. That's the only way that I can help you through this Gabby. Now, about Matteo...he is going to have to learn to trust people eventually but, he just isn't ready to do that. He is scared because we have moved so much. Puerto Rico is the only home he has ever known and I am positive that is a problem. Us being here is not something temporary. Chicago is our home, where he was born. It's where our family is, where are friends are and now...where our life is."

Gabby nodded and agreed with me as we held each other close. "Listen, it's early. So we can either take a shower and then relax together for a bit before we have to get dressed for work. Or we can go back to bed." Gabby then looked at me. "What time is it anyways? I didn't even look at the time." I then went to rub her arm. "It's 5:30 in the morning." Gabby then stared at me. "Wow, I didn't expect that." I nodded and agreed. "Listen, we are not going to fall back asleep anytime. So here's what we'll do...we can take a bath together and I can give you a massage. Then, we'll put some sweats on and cuddle in bed with the babies. Then, we'll start our morning routine...other than the shower when our alarm goes off. How does that sound Gabby?"

Gabby smiled when I said that. "That sounds perfect." I smiled and nodded while going to grab her hand. I then stroke it with my thumb before kissing her softly. "Just remember Gabby, I am in this with you forever okay? You tell me what's bothering you and I don't care if I am on duty as chief...I will always put my family first. I promise." Gabby smiled and agreed with me. Now, we better get into the bath before our two little ones out there wake up and disturb us." Gabby laughed and agreed with me as she went to start the bath for us. She then turned to look at me and reached for my hand. "Come here." I nodded while grabbing her hand and then just held her close to me. Turning to face me, Gabby put her hands on my chest while kissing me softly.

"You are amazing, you know that right Matt? You are chief now but you still find time to be an amazing husband and father. I am so proud of you that you can do that. I don't know if I could ever find that perfect balance." I nodded and smiled. "Gabby, it's my job to balance. I am not going to let our marriage suffer just because I am chief. In fact, I will quit if our marriage or family starts to suffer because I am chief. I already promise you that and I will continue to promise that until I retire." Gabby smiled and then went to kiss me softly as she wrapped her arms around me. "Thanks for last night by the way, that was fun." I smiled and agreed with her. "Get in okay?"

Gabby then nodded and agreed as she went to take off her robe before getting in the bath. Taking off my towel, I then did the same and brought her into my arms. Laying down on my chest, I smiled as I went to grab some soap to start washing Gabby. I then went to kiss her head and smiled. "I love you Gabby." Gabby smiled as she looked up at me and agreed. "I love you too Matt." I smiled when she said that before grabbing her neck and starting to kiss her slowly as we took a bit of time to just be husband and wife that morning. And boy was that exactly what we needed right now. Maybe we need this more often.