Chapter 24

Severide's POV: When Matt asked me about a squad candidate position for Lee Henry, I was shocked. "He doesn't want to follow his dad and be on truck with him?" Matt just shook his head when I asked that. "Believe me, I was just as shocked. I always assumed he would follow his dad onto truck when he graduated from the academy. Heck, I didn't even know he was done. Apparently, he just has another month yet. Then, he gets assigned. I mean....I want to put a letter of recommendation to try and get him but, I am not sure how much weight it would have."

I turned to look at him, confused. "Why wouldn't it have much weight? I mean, a chief is requesting someone as a candidate." Matt laughed when I said that. "May I remind you that I am the newest chief? Kelly, I am lower on the food-chain than you when it goes to priority for vacation." I was confused when he said that. "How? You're the one that approves my vacation." Matt laughed again when I said that. "I have a District Chief to report to. So, until I am Commissioner...I am always going to have a chief. And I have no plans on leaving 51 ever again."

I nodded and agreed. "I am not leaving for another 25 years. I want to be squad lieutenant when my kid becomes candidate." Matt then nodded and agreed. "God, I just realized that...I might get Matteo as my candidate. God, that is going to be scary and exciting at the same time." Matt then nodded and smiled as we finished shovelling. He then looked at me. "C'mon, let's just sit out here. Matteo is playing in the snow. We can sit outside. Believe me, he has already discovered the iPad. And he loves it. We had to get him an iPad mini he loves it so much." I laughed, agreeing with him as I nodded.

"Why can't he just use yours?" Matt turned to look at me. "You mean the one where I get my firehouse reports and e-mails? By the way, you okay with the digital stuff?" I nodded when he said that. "I love it. Gets me more time at home with Stella and Stephen." Matt smiled and agreed. "Yeah, exactly what I thought. So...listen. I am going to give you something to do as Chief." I looked at him confused. "Delegating tasks?" Matt shook my head. "No. I want you to write to give to the fire academy. Try and convince them to get Lee Henry assigned to our house."

I then looked at him. "Oh hell no. Sorry but, you can tell Hermann to kiss my ass. I am not getting him as my candidate. Sorry but, I am not going to have Hermann tell me how to run my truck. You know Hermann, he's going to hover and he's going to try and keep him safe." Matt just laughed at me when he said that. "Dude, you don't think I'm going to do the same for Gabby when she comes back...if she comes back?" I then looked at him. "What do you mean if she comes back? Gabby is coming back to 51 isn't she?"

Matt bit his lip and sighed. "Don't get me wrong. I want her to but...I am not going to push her. We have 3 kids under 18 months. I would completely understand if she wanted to wait until September to come back. That she's had 6 months to get used to having 3 kids and stuff. I also want to make sure she is ready mentally. She hasn't been on Ambo in 13 months. Heck, the only ambulance she's been in since then is the one that got us to the hospital."

I was about to say something when I heard Gabby come outside. "Oh, I am not coming back to Firehouse 51 until at least mid-March. I have to wait until them until I am cleared by my doctor after that surgery I had the same day I gave birth to Wally." Matt then turned to look at her. "What surgery? And why is this the first I've heard of it?" Gabby went to rub his cheek and smiled. "I got my tubes tied remember? That way we really are done having kids." Matt nodded and agreed. "Right, forgot. Just been a whirlwind." Gabby sighed and nodded.

Me and Matt could both tell she was disappointed. "Gabby, I'm sorry I forgot." Gabby then nodded while grabbing his hand. "It's okay Matt. It's not that big of a deal." Matt then sighed and looked at her. "Hey, it is though. It's a big surgery and was the right move. Gabby please don't think it's not a big deal that you got your tubes tied. But also remember that it was the right move. Babe, there was no way we were going to have a 4th kid when I am chief now." Gabby nodded and agreed as she bent down to kiss him softly. "Later. Get Matteo tired please."

Matt nodded and agreed as she walked away. I then turned to look at him and laughed. "God, you are in so much shit." Matt then stared at me. "Keep talking Lieutenant. Now listen, I want to talk to you about this okay? I want you to try and go for the Captain's exam." I turned to look at him and was shocked. "What?"