chapter 27

a/n: Surprise chapter to wish you a Happy New Year and to continue writing as much and as many chapters as last year! Like I said, I'll be active again when it's the middle of January since I could use some more time off. <3

-----

"Mommy, Uncle Derek drew me a foxy.", Layla informed her mama, who had gotten fresh water from inside. Since it was summer, they were using the grill and eating outside. While the other three kids were playing together, Leo was cuddling with Maggie and Teddy held Ellis in her arms.

"He did? Wow!", Amelia replied, kissing her daughter's cheek after she had looked at the picture. She then walked over to Owen, who was standing at the grill. "How's it going, Chief Hunt?", she giggled.

"Perfect! I am glad your brother and Meredith are happy that we are raising the kids together.", the redhead smiled at his friend and wrapped his right arm around her, holding the tongs in his left one. "You want a taste test?"

"Of your lips? Always.", the neurosurgeon flirted. She didn't really know where that confidence was coming from but if she was honest, she felt jealous of Teddy. Her colleague chuckled and pressed his lips against hers, happy that she felt so comfortable doing this in front of their families.

"Wait, are they a couple? Didn't they say they want to become one but need some time? Because this does not look like they are taking their time.", Meredith pointed out in confusion. "Leo, are your parents in love?", she asked the small boy, who smiled a little as if he understood the question.

"Okay, real taste test now?", Owen wondered, receiving a more passionate kiss, which caused his face to light up. "Hell, if that's your understanding of taste test, keep it coming!", he commented and watched her finally take a piece of sausage to try.

"Well, I don't know about Amelia, but my son is definitely in love with her. And I feel like she looks very in love as well.", Evelyn responded to the blonde's question, noticing the disappointed look in Teddy's eyes. She was going to ask her later, since the cardio surgeon would sleep at hers and Megan's house tonight, even if she had an apartment herself.

"I do have to criticize something.", Amelia started, staring into the trauma surgeon's eyes as if she was about to roast him. "I really like the taste of the food, but it is nothing compared to what your lips taste like."

"Mama, mama!", Layla shouted, running into her mother's arms. She happily giggled when she scooted her into the air before she cuddled her. "Can we watch an episode of the foxies after dinner?", she begged.

"I've always wanted a daddy's girl.", Owen announced, putting the grilled food onto the table for everybody to access. "But now that I have a mommy's girl, I couldn't be happier. Layls loves her mom so so much."

"Yes, we can watch one with Muttias.", the brunette told her child, who hugged her even tighter with her little arms. "Now let's eat. Zozo, Bailey, Logan – dinner!", she yelled for the kids to hear. They washed their hands in the small outdoor bathroom in the garden and then took their seats. "She also loves her daddy.", she told her friend and kissed his cheek, taking the seat beside him.

Logan was next to his cousins, while Leo was in his baby chair on his mom's right and Layla sat beside her father. Although the youngest Hunt had already eaten, the thought of his mother eating the slice of bread without him made him squirmy, so she shared it with her son, giving him a bit of the softer part.

After dinner, the four kids were allowed to go play some more. Leo was being taken to bed by his aunt and Ellis had fallen asleep in her dad's arms. Since they were doctors, they were currently having a conversation about dizziness, causing Megan to be a little confused when she came back.

"Anyway, I think it's really interesting to see how many people actually faint these days. I mean...you just fainted this morning.", Teddy continued, accidentally addressing what had happened earlier today, looking at Amelia.

"You fainted? Why did you faint?", Maggie questioned in worry, glancing at her sister too, like basically everybody at that table. "Is something wrong with you?", she kept asking, which was followed by silence.

"I fainted because...I've had an abortion.", the neurosurgeon revealed, a little insecurely. "A few days ago. And I thought the symptoms were over, but I was wrong, obviously.", she added.

"Was it James'?", Derek wanted to know at the same time that Evelyn wondered if it was Owen's. "Why would it have been Owen's?", the brunette questioned in confusion, trying to stare down his redheaded friend because this was going way too fast if they were actually having sex.

"Because Owen and I have been sleeping with each other ever since he and the kids moved in.", his sister clarified before she turned to her colleague's mother. "What would change if it was Owen's?"

"Nothing my dear, I just...sorry, I thought like a mom. But of course, it wouldn't change anything.", the grey-haired woman informed her softly, giving her a warm motherly smile.

"Amy, your ex-boyfriend just committed suicide after he kidnapped you. Stop jumping into playing house and take the time you need to heal.", Derek advised, annoyed by what he had heard. "Stop using my friend!"

"What is it with you people that everybody thinks they can walk into our lives judging us, especially me?! Seriously, I am trying to survive the loss of James but not by using Owen. We talk. I know it's something nobody thinks I am capable of doing, but we do talk about everything and if he wasn't okay with us having sex and waiting for me, he wouldn't have to do so. Dinner is over. I have to watch a video of SaveAFox on YouTube together with my children before our daughter has to go to bed.", Amelia answered, saying goodbye to her nephew and niece before she told her kids to come inside with her.