chapter 47

"Amelia, let's not break the rules already.", Owen chuckled when his girlfriend scooted closer to him to kiss his lips passionately. "We barely know each other. Haven't even had a date yet."

"Ugh, you're no fun.", the neurosurgeon complained, making him laugh. "I was offending you.", she made sure he understood that she had meant it when she started grinning. "Just a little bit sex.", she winked at him and noticed how he couldn't stop himself either anymore as he crashed his lips against hers.

"Fun police are here before bedtime.", Teddy announced, checking on her friends. "Oh, good I came in here.", she said upon seeing them make out. "That is not square one. Now, you guys were the ones who told me to stop you by parting you. I'll get comfortable in between you then.", she beamed, loving the cozy bed a lot. "Owen, don't look at me like that. You both signed a contract that you thought of."

"Finally, a cuddle buddy.", Amelia celebrated, letting her friend climb into the middle of the bed once she came back with her own sheets. "Do you feel like making out with me?", she joked, hearing her boyfriend scoff in jealousy. He wasn't sure if she meant it.

---

Saturday, 12th September:

-

"How's my baby doing?", Tom asked Teddy, who was talking to Arizona, Owen, Amelia, and Derek. He wrapped his arms around his girlfriend from behind. Although this was Layla's second party with family and friends, the little girl was currently reading a bedtime story with her grandma.

April and Jackson had taken the kids home and Meredith, Bailey, and Callie had done the same. Farouk got to have a sleepover with Logan, so they were playing video games in the brunette's room.

"You do know that it might be mine too, right?", Owen questioned. "Ours.", he corrected himself as he stared at the blonde neurosurgeon and tried to intimidate him, leaving his girlfriend confused about his reaction. As on cue, Leo could be heard through the baby phone.

"Excuse me, please.", Amelia said. "I have to get him back to sleep.", she explained and left to take care of her son. "What are you doing here?", she asked her brother once she came back out of the one-year-old's room.

"Whenever you see a baby or hear about one, you look sad. What happened, Amy?", the brunette wondered in worry, guiding her to her bedroom, so they could talk in privacy. "You know Teddy's child might be Owen's.", he reminded her softly.

"I do. I just didn't expect him to care so much, I guess.", his sister shrugged sadly. "And I was pregnant too, but I had a miscarriage on Thursday. That's why I started therapy and why we aren't engaged anymore.", she shared.

"Oh Amy, I'm so sorry!", Derek sympathized with her and wrapped his right arm around her waist while they were sitting on the bed. "Is that why you stepped away from being a doctor for now?", he wanted to know, letting Amelia rest her head on his shoulder.

"Yeah. All the noises and some words I've heard...they triggered me and caused the stress that led to the miscarriage. And Teddy is so kind to me, but I...I keep finding myself afraid of my boyfriend leaving me for her and the baby.", the neurosurgeon teared up.

"Hey! What's wrong?", Owen interrupted them, glancing into the room. "Are you okay?", he noticed the tears on his girlfriend's cheeks and walked towards her to find out what was going on. "Why are you crying?"

"I'll give you guys some privacy.", his friend decided and left his spot next to his sister to the trauma surgeon, who immediately took it. "I'm gonna get some snacks ready for everybody, is that alright?"

"Yes, thanks Derek.", Amelia smiled at him. She hated to admit it but whenever her brother comforted her, she would feel much better. "Are you going to fight Tom for the position as 'baby's best father'?", she asked Owen.

"What?", the redhead questioned but thought about it for a second. "Well, if I am its biological dad, I get to be the number one father.", he figured innocently, not aware of how much he was hurting his girlfriend.

"Okay. So, we will have number one mom, aka Teddy, and number one dad, aka you...because according to your logic that is what you believe, which leaves me wondering if you even want me in your kid's life or if I am just an accessory.", the brunette voiced her concerns.

"No, babe!", her boyfriend contradicted firmly. "That is not what I meant...", he added but realized that it wasn't surprising that she had understood him this way. "Biology doesn't matter. I think I just don't totally like Tom and Teddy is still my best friend. But you are going to be the baby's mom as much as I am its father."

"Stepmom.", Amelia corrected. "Look. We are about to start over our entire relationship. So, if you're thinking that this...that we might not work, please let me know in advance and not once I worked my ass off for us to build a foundation for marriage. Because I love you, but I am already broken, and I don't need any more pain."

"Honey, I absolutely want us to work on us as a couple. And I love you more than anything. I don't think that we might not work, because I know how perfect we are for each other. And I'm sorry if the way I talked about Teddy's pregnancy made you uncomfortable or hurt you. I didn't mean to.", Owen apologized.