Chapter 7: Next Steps

Entering the office the three officers sat down and began discussing the currently sleeping Taio Ru.

"Marshal, who is that beastman? I don't recall anyone of his description being on the registry when we departed." Lieutenant Wuya said suspiciously eyeing the snake.

"Don't mention not being on the registry, the Shé clan itself disappeared over 10,000 years ago. How did an extinct clan wind up on our Marshal's wrist?" Lieutenant Laohu said still finding it difficult to believe anyone could touch their Marshal without being half killed.

"The circumstances involving his appearance are difficult to comprehend and I am still investigating. What has been ascertained is that he is not currently a threat to the mission or the lives of those aboard the ship." Jun De said.

"How can you be certain he isn't an enemy if his very presence on the ship is still suspicious?" Lieutenant Wuya was not convinced.

"That is something I am currently working on. I assure you, as Marshal on this ship, I will not fail in my duties." Jun De said with a deep commanding tone, his eyes sharp with resolve.

Hearing the Marshal speak with such conviction lieutenant Wuya could no longer offer any complaints as doing so would be putting his loyalty to the Marshal into question.

"So, what's going to happen now? Is the little guy coming with us on the mission, or we planning on dropping him off somewhere?" Lieutenant Laohu asked.

"We cannot delay the mission. He will remain by my side during this critical time." Jun De said.

"Got it. Just one more question. Is he your lover?" Lieutenant Laohu suddenly asked as he made an obscene gesture with his fingers.

"Lieutenant Laohu watch your words." Jun De said angrily.

"What I'm just curious. I mean when have you ever let anyone touch you? Yet, this guy just suddenly appears and you carry him around on your wrist. I can't imagine being so intimate with anyone but a lover." Lieutenant Laohu said in defence.

Jun De thought about the lieutenant words. He obviously hated being touched by others. The feeling of another's body temperature and touch would fill him with a sense of disgust.

Yet, when it's Taio Ru rather than disgust it was comforting. It reminded him of his bamboo forest and feeling the cool water flow through his fingers as he lay on its bank.

"Is it because his temperature is lower as a snake beastman?" Jun De thought as he rubbed the beautiful scales wrapped around his wrist.

"Marshal, sorry but are you sure you ain't lovers? The way you look at him isn't the same way I've ever seen you look at any other person." Lieutenant Laohu said noticing the tenderness and care in the Marshal's gaze as he touched at the snake beastman currently sleeping on his wrist.

"Love is a concept that should develop over a long period of time. I have only known Taio Ru for less than a day. Such feelings would be impossible." Jun De said convinced of his argument.

"I don't deny that love is something that grows stronger over time, but there is a thing called love at first sight." Lieutenant Laohu said still believing the Marshal had fallen in love.

"Love at first sight does not exist. Those that believe in it are mistaking love for lust." The Marshal said denying all possibility that he might be in love.

"Marshal forgive me for saying this, but have you checked his ID bracelet for details?" Lieutenant Wuya interrupted eyeing the ID bracelet currently on Taio Ru's neck.

"The bracelet is something I gave him a few hours ago. When registering his DNA it came up clean in the database. The last known DNA relative being a member of the Shé clan's head family.
If the information is correct he is the blood heir to the Shé clan and their inheritance." Jun De explained. While setting up the bracelet he had made certain to check all information available.