Chapter 44: Researcher Chi

The next day, Jun De solemnly apologized to Taio Ru after bringing him some breakfast in bed. Neither had slept much all night.

"Love, I'm truly sorry. I should have known not to choose that movie." Jun De said looking at the black bags under Taio Ru's eyes.

"No, I think I should try watching it again. I can't keep feeling afraid. Look here it talks about something  called exposure  therapy. To conquer a fear you must face it." Taio Ru said, still pale from a lack of sleep.

He couldn't sleep so he started doing some research online while Jun De went downstairs to prepare some breakfast. They had robots who could do it, but Jun De had become interested in doing it himself.

"I've heard of it, but it's not as simple as it sounds. If you want to try it, I can contact the doctor and we can discuss it with him." Jun De said.

"Please do. I hate how my body shuts down on me. I want to take a proactive approach to getting better." Taio Ru stated.

"I understand. However, it's still important to remain patient. Rushing ahead could make things worse." Jun De warned.

The doctor had spoken to Jun De about exposure therapy and other treatment options while they were back on the ship.

After speaking with the doctor, they had agreed it would be best to give Taio Ru time to adjust to life on Capital Star before starting treatment. Overwhelming him would only have the opposite effect.

"I understand." Taio Ru said looking a little uneasy.

"Rather than focusing on your PTSD, let's discuss your mentorship. I sent a message to Researcher Chi yesterday evening. This is his reply he sent me this morning." Jun De said pulling up the message for Taio Ru to read.

Marshal Xiongmao,
I've received your request about taking your acquaintance as a mentor. I'm telling you now I'm only meeting with him as a favour to you. I'll meet him but that's all. I'm not taking anymore useless beastmen!

Taio Ru read the message and couldn't help but laugh a little. "He reminds me of my professor from the university lab. Stubborn, but always willing to help a friend." Taio Ru thought.

"Do you feel nervous? He complains a lot, but he is someone I trust." Jun De assured him.

"Hmm, I'm not nervous. He reminds me of someone I once knew." Taio Ru admitted.

"Was that person good to you?" Jun De asked. Previously, whenever Taio Ru spoke about his past life, he didn't have much to say about the people.

"He was. If researcher Chi is similar to him then I can look forward to having a friend and trusted colleague." Taio Ru said with a smile.

...

Although Taio Ru was exhausted he didn't want to sleep. His mind was still too agitated and he was afraid of suffering another nightmare.

Instead, he and Jun De went out to the lakeside pavilion for some fresh air. Once again making themselves comfortable. Taio Ru with his books and Jun De with some documents that Lieutenant Wuya had sent over.

Beep!... Beep!

Lieutenant Wuya had sent over the latest report on his investigation concerning the rumours being spread within the army.

Marshal Xiongmao,
We managed to trace the source of the rumours to the Noble Supremacist Faction. Beyond that things get more complicated. Further investigation will require your direct involvement. Attached is a record of all parties involved.

Reading Lieutenant Wuya's message, Jun De's mood darkened. He had predicted who the party involved might be. Lieutenant Wuya's message only worked to strengthen his suspicions.