Chapter 48: Enemies

After touring the facilities Taio Ru felt more comfortable with his new workplace. At first, he was worried his PTSD would reel its ugly head in the new place full of unknown people.

But it didn't. Rather he felt calm. The familiar atmosphere and quiet that came from a group of people more focused on work than life or other people took him back to the past. A past where he was one of them. But Taio Ru was no longer like them.

The biggest difference was that he didn't want to stay in this place working on his research all day. Not because he was scared, but because he missed Jun De and their life on the private floating island.

"Being here, in this place, makes life with Jun De and our home feel like a dream." Taio Ru thought. The depressed mood emanating from him.

"Researcher Taio Ru, is something wrong? Did they send the wrong equipment?" Apprentice LingYang asked after noticing his dark mood.

"No, everything is as I requested. I was just thinking about something." Taio Ru said before returning to his work.

Apprentice LingYang turned to look at the equally concerned Apprentice Bianfu  next to her. Neither knew why Taio Ru looked like an abandoned wet puppy in left out in the rain. However they did know it wasn't something simple. Without words they both nodded in agreement to not pry.

...

"Marshal Xiongmao, it's a pleasure seeing you at the barracks. How was your vacation?" An officer said upon seeing the marshal walking towards him.

"At ease, I'm only here to take care of a few urgent documents. My vacation still stands." Jun De said before continuing on his way.

The officer stood frozen in place. "The Marshal actually greeted me back?!"

"Hey Marshal, what are you doing?!" Lieutenant Laohu bellowed from down the hall.

"What do you mean?" Jun De questioned his eyes narrowing.

"Im talking about those!" Lieutenant Laohu said as he pointed towards the frozen soldier.
These frozen soldiers had been appearing along Jun De's route from his vehicle to his office.

"I don't understand what you're referring to?" Jun De asked. He was in a strangely good mood. Therefore he didn't mind humouring the lieutenant.

"How can you not notice how your sending our officer into shock with that friendly attitude of yours? I've heard of men changing after finding love, but this is ridiculous." The lieutenant said.

"I haven't changed after meeting Taio Ru." Jun De said displeased by the insinuation that he did.

"So your not going to deny the love part, huh. Damn that's cruel!" Lieutenant Laohu exclaimed.

"Lieutenant?" Jun De said annoyed.

"Sorry, what I meant was it's unusual for you to speak with the officers. Your strange friendliness is too shocking for the officers." Lieutenant y said pointed at the frozen soldier once more.

"Is that so. They must need more training if a small change causes them this much confusion and distress. Have all the officers who "froze" run extra drills." Jun De said coldly before continuing on his way to his office.

"Now that was definitely something the marshal we all know and love would say." Lieutenant Laohu said laughing aloud. Apparently feeling no remorse after getting the officers extra training. He then turned to go back to work.

...

Entering his office, Jun De met lieutenant Wuya.

"Marshal Xiongmao, I've prepared everything you need." Lieutenant Wuya said as he passed a three tablet over to him.