Chapter 38: First Date

"Love, do you want to go for a walk?" Jun De asked softly.

"Sorry, I'm a little tired." Taio Ru said as he tightened the blanket around him.

"Love, you've been sleeping all day. Let's go out for a little fresh air. It will help you feel better." Jun De coaxed. Since Taio Ru's last PTSD attack Taio Ru had become languid and melancholic. He kept saying he was fine just a little tired, but Jun De knew things weren't okay.

"I don't want to. I just want to sleep a little more." Taio Ru said.

Jun De couldn't force Taio Ru to do anything. The only thing he could do was keep trying.

Beep!... Beep!...

"Marshal, we've come to visit again. Let us in." Lieutenant Laohu said the moment the call connected.

Jun De's first reaction was to refuse, but then he remembered how Taio Ru was acting. "Maybe having the two lieutenants here will help bring Taio Ru out of his mood." Jun De thought.

"Come in." Jun De said as he accepted the request to land.

...

"Taio Ru, the lieutenants are here. They brought some fruit and pastries for you. Do you want to come downstairs to eat?" Jun De asked, placing his palm on Taio Ru's back.

"The lieutenants? Why are they here?" Taio Ru asked.

"Who wants visitors, now?" Taio Ru thought grumpily. After they went to the emperor's palace, but had to leave because of his panic attack. He'd been feeling tired and sluggish.

"Did you forget they said they'd come by again? Now hurry and get up, or do you want them to see you in your pyjamas?" Jun De said.

"I messed up. Jun De hasn't said anything, but the emperor must have been pissed. Is it possible the lieutenants are actually here to relay news from the emperor? Maybe the fruit is just an excuse?" Taio Ru thought.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, head down, Taio Ru started spiralling into negative thoughts. This had happened a few times over the last couple days. Leaving him in a terrible mood.

"Love? Is something wrong?" Jun De asked turning around and noticing Taio Ru's sadness. He'd thought the lieutenants visit might cheer him up, not make him distressed.

"I said I'm fine. Just tired." Taio Ru restated, finally getting up to get dressed.

"Hey! Where is everyone?" Lieutenant Laohu shouted from downstairs.

Hearing the loud boisterous voice coming from downstairs both Jun De and Taio Ru looked towards the stairs.

"Taio Ru, I understand you haven't been feeling the best. Just go say hello, and if you feel too tired we can tell them to leave." Jun De said, passing him some clothes.

He knew the real reason Taio Ru was tired and acting distant had to do with his trauma. With some hope he wanted to help Taio Ru push through.

"Just a little while." Taio Ru said.

"I'll be downstairs, come down after you change." Jun De said walking downstairs.

...

"So, where's Taio Ru?" Lieutenant Laohu asked once more.

"He'll be down soon." Jun de said.

"Marshal, we heard things didn't go well with the emperor." Lieutenant Wuya said a little concerned.

"Forget about that. What about your date?" Lieutenant Laohu interrupted.

"Postponed." Jun De said with a frown.