Chapter 56: Sour Mood

With Taio Ru's health falling back down to square one, he was once again forced to rest. The long days of laying in bed doing nothing continued.

"Jun De have you heard from the police yet?" Taio Ru asked as he lazily lay on the couch.

Jun De had been busy discussing their next move with Lieutenant Wuya. So he was often left alone to rest while Jun worked in his office.

"They arrested her this morning." Jun De said.

"Why did it take so long? It's been two weeks since the bombing. You also provided the police with ample evidence." Taio Ru complained. He had been in a sour mood after staying indoors to "rest" for two weeks.

"It's not so simple. The Xiongmao are a respected, noble clan. They know how to manipulated the system. They used their contacts to put pressure on the police." Jun De explained. He was also frustrated at how long it had taken the police to make progress.

"Don't you have more influence than them? You're also a member of the Xiongmao clan and you're a marshal." Taio Ru asked.

"Not more. I've been negligent towards the Empire's political scene. I have the titles, but none of the relationships. My involvement could only help the police prioritize the case and make sure it wasn't buried. The rest is and will continue being an uphill battle for them." Jun De said.

He hated having to admit his shortcomings, but facts were facts. He never cared about politics. Only focusing on his military career. Specifically, his prowess in battle. Which proved to be a mistake.

"Is there nothing else you can do?" Taio Ru asked.

"Lieutenant Wuya and I have been damaging the Xiongmao's finances." Jun De stated.

"So your plan is to weaken them by bankrupting them first?" Taio Ru asked. Taio Ru couldn't help but feel a little dissatisfied.

"I understand your disappointment. If it were possible I'd  rather directly deal with them as well. Think of the nobles as living in a world where "who you know" and "what favours you can trade" reign supreme. Violence and common sense are irrelevant. To win we need to either follow their rules or drag them into our world." Jun De explained.

He also hated that "world". It was the reason he ran and joined the army. But it could no longer be avoided or ignored if he wanted to protect Taio Ru.

"Is it even possible to bankrupt the Xiongmao clan? They must have a lot of money and resources." Taio Ru asked still unsure about Jun De's plan.

"It's proving to be easier than we thought. Lieutenant Wuya and his team have been working with the police to investigate and shut down the major companies under the Xiongmao name." Jun De said.

"Are they not following regulations?" Taio Ru asked.

"Everything from tax fraud to basic beastmen rights violations. It's unbelievable what the Xiongmao clan has been getting away with." Jun De said as he shook his head in shame.

He knew the Xiongmao were corrupt and used the fact they were nobles to do whatever they wanted. However some part of him still hoped they had a bottom line.

"Will the police be making more arrests?" Taio Ru asked.

"They are going to try." Jun De said. His face said differently though.

He knew it would be nearly impossible to arrest them all. At best a few will have the blame pinned on them while the others claim ignorance. His mother was already the first sacrifice.

"Love, let's stop talking about this." Jun De said. He didn't want to trouble Taio Ru. Rather he hoped Taio Ru could live free from that world, even if it seemed impossible at the moment.