Montana vs. Chicago

Request - Y/N grew up in Chicago for most of her life, moving to Montana when she was sixteen. She had a heavy accent and quickly became the idea of "if Beth was a Wrangler"- certified badass, that worked for the Duttons. As she gets older, Kayce and Y/N fall in love, and Y/N takes Kayce on a surprise trip to Chicago to look at all the exhibits and to revisit the place she grew up. Maybe smut, or maybe wholesome? I dunno after that, lol. Thanks so much!

Author's Note - decided to do wholesome since there were a lot of details needed for this one! :) 

"Have you ever been on a plane before?" You asked Kayce after the two of you found your seats. 

Kayce glared over at you. 

"It's a simple question," You shrugged with a smirk. 

"I was in the military," Kayce rolled his eyes. "Yes, I've been on a fucking plane." 

"Just checking," You laughed. "If you need to hold my hand, just let me know." 

"Again...military," Kayce said as the flight attendant started her speech. 

The flight was smooth and soon you were touching down in Chicago. You hadn't been back since you left there when you were sixteen. That was almost a decade ago now. You had changed, you weren't the city girl anymore. In fact, your boots and jeans currently on you were a testament to said change. 

The cowboy next to you as well. When you were sixteen, Kayce Dutton was certainly not your type of guy. But you had moved to Montana when your father lost his job. Your grandparents, whom you'd never met, were from Montana and had kept a small cabin outside of Bozeman. So your dad relocated both of you and you thought your life was over. 

But then you met a few friends at school, one being Kayce. He didn't seem to care you were from the big city, in fact...he almost liked that you weren't like everyone else around. A few weeks into the school year, Kayce invited you to his family's ranch. That's when you fell in love with the lifestyle. That summer, John Dutton hired you as a ranch hand and you never looked back. You went to school long enough to take a semester's worth of classes, but eventually, you went back to the ranch...and Kayce. 

It took Kayce until your twenty-first birthday to kiss you. You both were drunk and all you remember was waking up next to him in the barn loft the next morning. Nothing more than kissing had happened, but it was up there Kayce confessed to liking you way more than just a friend. A few months later you realized you thought of him the same way. And now that fucking cowboy had your whole heart. 

"Hey," Kayce's voice jolted you from your thoughts. "Move, baby." 

You quickly stood up and grabbed your bag from above. Kayce grabbed his bag and then followed you off the plane. The airport was insane, but O'Hare always was. It took almost two hours for you to push open the hotel door and the two of you tumbled inside. It was close to lunchtime, so you figured you'd drop off your stuff and then head out to explore some. 

Everything brought back memories for you. The sounds, smells, people...all of it hit you like a ton of bricks. You had missed the city, you wouldn't deny it. But you also knew it was a different part of your life. You looked out the window and down toward the river. 

"Kind of thought this trip was about getting into the real Chicago?" 

You looked behind you at Kayce who was smiling. 

"It is," You laughed. "Sorry...just a lot of memories." 

"You okay?" Kayce walked over to you. 

"Sure," You looked up at him. "Are you hungry?" 

"Starving," Kayce nodded. 

"Come on," You grabbed his hand. "We're going to get the best sandwich you've ever had in your life." 

The rest of the day was spent walking your old streets. You showed Kayce your elementary school, and some of your favorite places to shop and eat, then there were the museums and parks. It was dark by the time the two of you walked into the hotel absolutely exhausted from the day.  

"I think I might pass out," You leaned against Kayce in the elevator. 

"I'll carry you," He mumbled against your forehead. 

"Thanks," You smiled as the elevator dinged. 

Once back in the room, you grabbed the menu. 

"Figured you'd have a place for us to eat at?" Kayce asked as you flopped down on the bed. 

"Are you kidding me?" You laughed. "Everyone knows room service burgers are the best burgers." 

"Never had one," Kayce laid down on his stomach next to you. 

"You've never had one?" You looked at him. 

"Nope," Kayce smiled. "Guess there's some stereotypes I do fit." 

You ordered two burgers, an order of fries, and a salad. Along with two cokes and a beer for Kayce. You then rolled into Kayce's side, his arm wrapped around you as y'all waited. 

"Thank you for coming with me," You said softly. 

"Why wouldn't I?" Kayce rubbed your back. 

"I like showing you where I grew up," You shrugged. "Hopefully it helps explain...me, more to you." 

"I don't need an explanation for you, darlin'," Kayce smiled. "But I do like being here with you." 

"You don't need someone to explain me to you?" You asked, surprised. "How come?"

"Cause I love you," Kayce said. "What more do I need to know?" 

You leaned up and kissed him. Kayce rolled you under him as he kissed you back. Your hair pushed back some of his hair as the kiss deepened, one of Kayce's hands wrapping under your back. 

A loud gurgling sound came from you and made you both pause. 

"Sorry," You giggled with your lips pressed to Kayce's still. "I'm hungry." 

As if on cue, a knock at the door came. Kayce got up off you and went to open it, a hotel worker pushed in the cart and waved goodbye. The two of you tucked into your food as the city lights sparkled out the large window. After you finished, you and Kayce snuggled together on the bed as some TV show played quietly in the background. 

"I love you too," You told Kayce. "I love this city...but I love my life back in Montana more now." 

"Good to hear," Kayce smiled at you. "Think I might have fought this city for you if it were the other way." 

"You'd take on Chicago for me?" You leaned your arm on his chest and rested your chin on it. 

"Chicago don't scare me," Kayce shrugged. "Losing you scares me." 

"Not gonna happen," You shook your head. "You'd lose one of your best hands if you did." 

"I ain't talking about you as a worker," Kayce tickled your sides. 

"I know!" You laughed and leaned over Kayce, wrapping your arms around his neck. "I'm kidding...while I feel like I'd lose, I'd take on Montana for you." 

"Nah," Kayce shook his head. "You can take Montana." 

You smiled softly at Kayce, leaning down and kissing him once more. When you pulled back, you rested your cheek against his chest and listened to the sounds of the city outside your window. 

It used to be your home. But the man holding you now was more your home than a physical location had ever been.