I'm going again - Part 3

Request - I'm going again Part 3 - Final Part! 

You had been sitting in that plastic chair for the past two hours. It was nearing two in the morning, but it wasn't like there was anywhere else you could go. If you went to the hotel room, you'd just be sitting on the bed there. 

You kept replaying your last conversation with Kayce over and over in your mind. It was when you had dropped him off at the. airport in Bozeman. He had his military bags with him and a ballcap on. You didn't cry. You didn't have any tears left after the three days leading up to his departure. 

He had signed a contract for two tours, not one. While Kayce admitted he hadn't realized he signed for you, you were too mad to believe anything that came out of his mouth. 

It had been a good six months of him being home, working for his father. The two of you had moved into the foreman's cabin on the ranch. You were able to see Tate most weekends and John had even kept his word of nothing putting Kayce in danger. 

But then Kayce walked in with a sunken face and told you he got the call again. Then he told you about the contract...even showed you the contract. 

You had slapped him. 

Flash forward to a week later and you were dropping him off at the airport. Kayce told you he loved you and promised again that this would be the last time you did this. You told him you didn't believe him. You told him you didn't trust him. Then you. told him. goodbye and walked away. You didn't hug Kayce. You didn't kiss Kayce...you just said goodbye and walked away. 

Six days after that came the call that made your heart stop. There had been a roadside bomb that detonated. Kayce was in a Humvee and half of it went up in smoke. Two. fo the five men inside died while the others were all in critical condition...just like Kayce. 

The doctors told you he suffered burns on his left side. A shard of glass cut into his chest and he had a broken arm. The military had airlifted them all and eventually got them to Germany. 

So here you were. In Germany, sitting on a plastic chair,  praying. Kayce was going to be okay because you weren't quite sure how you'd walk out of here if he didn't. 

"Mrs. Dutton?" 

You stood up as a woman appeared beside you in her uniform. 

"I'm Dr. Matthews, I was one of three doctors who operated on your husband," She said. 

"Is he okay?" You asked. 

"He's stable, which is the best place for him to be right now," She nodded. "Please follow me."

"Can I see him?" You asked as you walked past the swinging doors.

"He's down this way," She said. "We were able to get all the debris out of his wound along his chest and it looks like his skin will fair well with the burns." 

"A-And his arm?" You held your jacket close to your chest. 

The woman stopped outside a closed door. 

"Bounded and here in about six to eight weeks he can have it removed," She gave you a small smile. 

"I know this was a journey for you," She said. "But with situations like this...having loved ones around only helps to healing process." 

"Thank you," You felt your eyes water but didn't care. 

"He's in there and is still pretty banged up," She said. "Be gentle with him and he may still be a bit groggy."

"Okay," You took a breath before entering the room. 

Kayce was still banged up looking, but he was alive and breathing. You walked up to the right side of him, seeing the dark markings on his skin under some of the bandages. There were. monitors on him and soft beeping around the room. You looked down and saw his chest move up and down.