I'm going again - Part 2

Request - Part 2 of "I'm going again" 

You glanced at the clock on the dash and saw you would just about make it on time. Tate was in the backseat, the large grin on his face hadn't dimmed once since you picked him up earlier from the Reservation. You were surprised Monica had agreed to have you get Tate on the way to pick up Kayce from the airport. 

He had landed last night in Virginia. However, due to the lateness, he stayed the night there and got on a plane that took him to Chicago first, then to Bozeman. You had butterflies in your stomach. This wasn't the first time you had done that "Welcome Home" thing with Kayce coming back from being overseas. But it had been a few years. 

"Y/N?"

"What's up, buddy?" You glanced in the rearview mirror. 

"Are you excited?" Tate asked. 

You smiled back at him, pulling off the highway and seeing the airport in the distance. 

"I am," You said softly. "I've missed your dad."

"Me too," Tate nodded. "A lot." 

You pulled your car along to the pickup line and maneuvered behind a sedan. Placing your car in park you took your seatbelt off and looked back at Tate. 

"I know he's missed you too," You told him. 

"Is he gonna do this again?" Tate asked you.

"No, buddy," You shook your head. "This was the final time. Your dad promised me."

"Good," Tate sighed. "This wasn't fun."  

You reached back and rubbed his knee. Looking forward you started to see people walking out of the airport. You took a shaky breath and eyed each person, looking for your cowboy. 

"Where is he?" Tate asked from the back. 

"He's gotta get his bags," You reminded him. 

"Daddy!" Tate yelled and was almost out of the car before you spotted Kayce. 

He was dressed the same as he left you. Boots, blue jeans, and a blue button-down. You got out of your car and saw Kayce drop his bags to pick Tate up. People around them smiled as they stepped to the side while Kayce hugged Tate tight to me. You walked up and had to remind yourself to let Tate have him first, Kayce was his father. 

When. you got close, Kayce's eyes opened, and looked briefly to find you. His warm caramel eyes were all you needed to see too. feel tears come to your own eyes. Kayce placed Tate back on the ground and rubbed his sides. 

"Buddy," Kayce chuckled. "Let me hug Y/N too, okay?"

You let out what sounded like a chuckle and a sob as Kayce stood up. You were in his arms before Tate could fully get out of the way. Wrapping your arms around his neck you held Kayce close to you. He smelled good and all you could think about was that he was back and he was okay.  Over the three months, you had spoken to. him once or twice a week...maybe for thirty minutes at a time. It was torture. But this? This was heaven. 

You learned your head back, not wanting to let go. Kayce smiled down at you as his hands held your waist. 

"Hey, darlin'," Kayce said. 

"Hi," You cried before rising on your toes and kissing him.

Kayce's hand came up to hold the back of your head as he kissed you back. Each kiss felt like it was putting a piece of your heart back together. You felt Kayce kiss you once more time and then move his lips to your chin, then cheek, then below your ear...making you laugh.