No one will ever do that to you again.

Request - could you do one where the reader is in an abusive relationship and Kayce like finds her and helps her and they fall in love and such and then one day he looks like he is going to hit her and she flinches and he doesn't realize what he just did

You answered your phone to an unknown number. 

"Is this Y/N Y/L/N?" A voice came through. 

"Who's asking?" You leaned against the counter. 

There was a part of you that heard your boyfriend of almost a year come through your voice. That was exactly what Kayce would ask back to someone asking if he was who he was. 

"This is Deputy Eric Vargas with the Gallatin County Sherriff's Department," The voice answered. "I'm calling in regards to an inmate we have...a Lance Grayson...and your connection to his case."  

You felt your back straighten immediately. 

"Um...what's this about?" You asked. "I thought...I thought after the sentencing six months ago that we were done?" 

"We are done," Vargas said. "This is to inform you that Mr. Grayson was denied parole this morning. It's the protocol we inform an individual like yourself connected to his case if something like this were to occur. We didn't have an attorney on file, so it went to you personally instead." 

"He didn't get parole?" You asked. 

"No, ma'am," Vargas said. "He will be up again in eighteen months, but until then you won't hear from us." 

"Okay..." You cleared your throat. "Th-Thank you." 

"Have a nice day," Vargas hung up. 

You took a deep breath as you pulled your phone back from your ear. Sure, you had been through some therapy and worked on yourself over the past year or so, but hearing his name made some of those memories come back. And none of them were good. 

The backdoor opened and Kayce walked into the kitchen. He looked angry and for a split second you thought it was because of the news but then quickly realized Kayce would have no idea about your phone call. You watched him walk over and yank open the fridge door, pulling out a water bottle. 

"Hey," You said softly, rubbing your arm. 

Kayce didn't say anything but grunted at you. Something must have happened with the wranglers this morning. There was no telling what was done or said. Kayce was trying to take over as foreman and it was about as easy as getting water to stick on a wall. You took another deep breath as Kayce chucked the bottle into the trash can, rubbing his hand over his face. 

"Are you okay?" You asked, taking a step toward him. 

"Do I look okay?" Kayce asked, not removing his hand. 

"Not particularly," You mumbled but stood next to him. 

Kayce must have not heard you. The two of you stood there in a few seconds of silence until you heard someone call out from the front porch for Kayce to come out. You looked at Kayce but he didn't seem to hear it. 

"Kayce," You reached out to touch him. 

Kayce acted faster though. He pushed himself off the counter and whirled around to face you. But he didn't realize you were as close as you were to him. His fists were closed and raised and it was like your body took over for you. 

You flinched back, your foot slipping on the mat in the kitchen as you ended up falling backward. Landing on your knee, you were able to keep yourself up but your hands flew up to protect your face. Kayce's eyes were wide as he looked down at you. He moved fast to kneel in front of you but your body was still in control as you slipped back even more, your back resting against the lower cabinets eventually. Your bent knees kept Kayce away from you.