A Week Later....

I was nearing my final week in Boston, and I was currently getting ready - reluctantly-for another date with Julian, whilst being on the phone with Olivia. 

"where are you going tonight?" she asked whilst I applied the finishing touches to my make up. "I don't know actually" I answered. "he's told me to not dress too fancy."

"what's the matter? You sound bummed out" she asked, I sighed and sat down on the bed. "I dunno." I said, looking at my feet. "do you not like him as much as you thought?" she asked. "it's not that...I really like him, but there's still something just off." I said, feeling an empty feeling in my stomach. "the same stuff as before?"

"yeah, I mean I haven't seen him all week, he says it's because of work, but if I ask him about it he's still really sketchy, and avoids my questions by talking about something else." I explained, "what if he actually has a girlfriend already? What if I'm totally being played?" I said nervously. "I'm sure you're not girl."

"but he drives the coolest car and his clothes are fly. What is he not telling me?" I asked her, knowing she has as much of a clue as I do. "I dunno, but are you gonna ask him?" she asked, I shrugged, even though she couldn't see me. "I guess so. But at the end of the day, does it really matter when I'm flying home in five days?" 

"well, it does when you move here and you carry on seeing him" she answered, "but I might not, once I leave he'll forget all about me. Perhaps that's for the best" I seemed in a right downer tonight. "oh listen to yourself, I'm sure it's just in your head. What time is he picking you up?"

"he's not." I swallowed, "I told him I'd meet him there tonight. I feel like I'm distancing myself from him now I'm close to leaving." I confessed, "oh girl, don't do it to yourself." Olivia sighed, "I know, but I can't help it. Maybe it is easier this way, then I won't get my heart broken" 

.......................

I arrived at the destination he'd text me, a little earlier than planned. I was always ready on time, but tonight I wanted to be early, maybe if I was there earlier then I wouldn't be as likely to not turn up. But those stupid thoughts fell from my mind once I saw him stroll into the pub. He'd told me tonight to not dress up for our date, just something casual, but from the short time I'd known him, nothing about Julian was casual. He was wearing a pair of black sneakers, tight fitting jeans, a snug sweater and a white shirt underneath. My heart skipped a beat at the sight of him, especially when he spotted me and smiled that smile of his, flashing his pearly white teeth at me. 

My cheeks heated up as he looked me up and down as I stood to greet him with a hug. "you look amazing" he said in my ear as we embraced. "thank you" I replied with a shy smile as we parted. "you beat me here too" he said as he waited for me to take my seat again in the booth. Ever the gentleman. I laughed, "yeah, I thought I'd mix it up a little" I smiled as he got comfy beside me. The guy who showed me to our table said Julian had requested a quiet table. Which I'd noticed he did a lot on our dinner dates, I assumed it was so it was private, but now I was beginning to feel a little freaked out about it. Was he hiding me from someone?

"So how was your day?" he asked me, leaning his arms on the table, looking at me intently. "good, I caught up on some work, and then met my brother at his office to spend the afternoon overseeing the staff there and what they were working on" 

"sounds good. Is there much different between your job and your brother's place?" he asked, turning his body to face me, when a group of guys walked through the door. I felt myself analyzing everything he did and said right now. I needed to stop myself. I could tell Julian thought something was a little off with me.

"Is everything okay? You seem a little distracted" He said, looking into my eyes, he seemed concerned. "oh no, I'm fine. Tired I guess. It's been a long day." I lied, "we could have cancelled tonight if you didn't feel up to it" he told me, so I shook my head, "it's fine." I smiled, "so how was your day?" I asked, knowing what he would tell me. "good. Busy, but good." that was it. I sighed. "are you sure you're okay?" He asked, about to take my hand, but I moved it off the table before he could. He frowned. "Um, I'm not sure I am actually." I said, looking down to my hands sitting in my lap. I heard Julian sigh, "Do you not wanna see me anymore?" he asked. I looked at his sad expression and my stomach flipped. "It's not that, exactly." I said, fidgeting in my seat. "I just...I just feel like there's something you're keeping from me, or you're keeping me from something, or someone..." I said, hoping he knew what I was getting at. He grabbed my hand, holding it between his two huge palms and I looked up to him. "I swear there's nothing I'm keeping you from, or anyone" he said. "so why do I get the feeling that you hide away when you're with me?" I asked, looking at him, his eyes looking at me sadly. "Believe me, there is no way I am hiding you away. Why the hell would I? You're beautiful. But I'm a pretty private guy, or at least I try to be." he told me, "I like to keep things private, although I have told my friends about you" he smiled a little. "huh?" I asked, shocked that he had. "yeah, I want you to meet em tomorrow after the game." he said, looking at me, "I mean, if you would still like to come to the game tomorrow night?" he asked hopefully. I swallowed hard, nervous at the thought of meeting his friends, but I nodded. "yeah, okay" He smiled at my answer and raised my hand to his face, kissing the back of my hand softly. Tomorrow night was going to be interesting. And so much for keeping some distance between us...