Unexpected Guests

I scanned the room, people watching, leaning against the bar with my elbows on the bar top. I looked around at the guys in the room. I guess some of them weren't too bad. Not in Julian's league but nice all the same. Guys like him didn't come along everyday, certainly not in my town, but I'd have to get used to that. I mean, that ship had sailed and I had to move on.

A group of three guys to the left of the bar looked over at me, one of them smiling at me. Cute. I found myself smiling back, a blush crept onto my cheeks. Well that hadn't happened in a while. He looked as though he was about to come over, when he stopped, the smile wiped from his face and then so did mine. What was his problem?

"am I interrupting something?" a gruff voice said in my ear. I jumped, looking round to my right. What the fuck is he doing here?!

"Julian?!" I gasped. "hey baby"

........

I was absolutely stunned. My face must have shown it too, but he just gave me that gorgeous smile of his. "you look awesome" he said, looking down at me as he stepped closer. I felt that electricity between us, pulling me to him. He raised his hand to my cheek, brushing his thumb across my skin. "what are you doing here?" I managed to say, stepping away from him. He sucked me in again, and I had to force myself to remember why I called it off in the first place. He looked hurt that I pulled away, but before we had chance to speak any more- "ooh, so you found us some company" Amelia interrupted, whispering in my ear then flashing a glance at said company. I looked at her and she held a frown on her face, then it turned into surprise. "hey how you doin? I'm Julian" he stepped forward, ready to shake her hand. She glanced at me again then looked back to him "Amelia" she smiled, "I'm good thanks, you?" she asked in return. He nodded earnestly. "yeah, I'm good" he replied, "um, would you like something to drink? I'm just gonna get some" he told us, "no thanks, we're good" Amelia replied flashing him her full glass. Meanwhile I just stood there looking uncomfortable. "cool, well uh, Danny's over by the Dj if you wanna go take a seat?"
"Danny's with you?" I finally chirped up, probably sounding a little pissed. Julian looked at me and nodded. "okay great" Amelia smiled, grabbing my arm as Julian and I just stared at each other. "come on Pen" she said, pushing me to move away.

"what the fuck is wrong with you?!" she hissed at me as she dragged me across the room. "what are you talking about?" I snapped again. Suddenly Amelia came to a halt. "you've been moping around since you came back from Boston. Whingeing and being all sad. Then he comes over here clearly showing you what you mean to him and you're being a total bitch" she said, looking at me honestly. "haven't you remembered anything I said to you about who he is?" I asked her, Amelia sighed and rolled her eyes, "and besides, what do you want me to do? Be all over him then when he goes back home say oh well J it was fun but bye bye?" I asked. Amelia pouted. "I guess you're right..." she sighed. "but just look at him," she added, I looked over her shoulder and saw Julian still at the bar, but looking over at us. "he's come all this way just to see you." she said, touching my hand. My eyes locked with his and he sent me a genuine smile. I felt myself soften and I smiled back at him. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on him. After all I was going to have to let him down gently at the end of his visit. Again.

......

After we made our way through the crowds, we finally managed to get to their table, Danny standing up when he saw me. "hey Penny, nice to meet you at long last. I'm Danny" he grinned, out stretching his hand. "hey, nice to meet you too" I smiled a little nervously. He seemed a nice guy and I wanted to make a good impression as he was so close to Julian.

"Danny, this is my friend, and colleague Amelia" I said once I'd moved away from him. "hi nice to meet you, I play football with Julian" he said to my friend. "oh cool" Amelia smiled, sitting down in the booth next to him. Leaving me on his other side.

"so do you think he's crazy for coming over here for you?" Danny asked me. I nodded my head wildly making him laugh. "once he gets an idea in his head he has to do it. No doubt" Danny told us. "and you're here..."
"for moral support." he nodded "and it's an adventure, a crazy one I was happy to see through with him. No matter what the outcome" he added. "so what do you expect the outcome to be?" Amelia asked, wanting his honest opinion on the situation. Danny sighed, rubbing his chin with his fingertips. "honestly, since I've only just met Penny," he said, glancing at me, "I can't say yet, but with him" he nodded to where Julian was, "I've not seen him this hung up on someone so quickly before."
"but?" Amelia sensed it as much as I. "but, I know your job is important, and also our lifestyle, it's alot for you." he said, thank God someone understands. "but Penny" he looked straight into my eyes. "that guy over there thinks he's taking you home with him." he said, my stomach rolled over. "he's that adamant he wants to be with you. That you're still going to move over to Boston" he warned me. I felt sick. I didn't want this pressure at all. And I certainly didn't want to hurt him. "but I'm not going back" I told him. Danny's eyes flashed panic, "I've accepted a job here, the same as Boston. I'm not moving"

"so ladies, what have I missed?" Julian's excitable voice interrupted my stare with Danny. We all looked over at him, seeing him grinning at us like a kid at Christmas.