Second Chances

"hello?? Penny??"
"Hey Nicki, sorry to be calling you so late-
"what's happened? Is Jules okay?!" I could hear the panic in her voice. "yeah he's fine. I've sent him home in a taxi...he's had a little too much to drink, and well, I'm sure he'd rather it come from him... But he's okay" I explained, hearing her sigh. "are you okay?" she asked me, I sighed shakily. "yeah, I guess." I replied. "I'm sorry I've not gotten round to catching up with you lately. I've been a bad friend....a bad everything I think" I sighed again, feeling the tears come. "oh Penny, don't."
"no, no I deserve it. Anyone would agree with that. I'd love to see you" I told her. "well I'm actually flying home in two days, I have to get back for work." she explained. "how about we meet for a little lunch on Saturday before I fly out?" she suggested. "sounds good." I nodded, "call me tomorrow won't you, let me know how he is?" I asked worriedly, "sure" she laughed a little, making me smile. "thanks Nick, goodnight"
"night Pen" she said and the hung up.

Right, now that was done, I had to head inside and see everyone.

They were all huddled together talking, Jake of course still protesting his innocence but no one seemed to be listening to him. Thank god. "where is he?" Tom asked when he saw me. "he's gone home." I explained. "Nicki knows he's on his way home." I told them, seeing them sigh in relief. "thank you" Tom said stepping forward pulling me into a hug. "that boy is so cut up. He's been worrying us all to death" he said in my ear. "I know" I nodded. What else was I meant to say. "well I think I better head home now too" I spoke up again as I stepped away from Tom. Everyone understood and said their goodbyes, other than Gronkowski. And I said I'd call Olivia tomorrow.

........

I made it outside once again and waited for a taxi. Not actually being alone for too long.... "so you picked then" I closed my eyes at the sound of another voice and I looked round to be met by an unexpected face. "I picked?" I frowned, "Jules" Rob answered. I sighed defeatedly, "I know you hate me Rob, but just lay off okay" I said, looking away from him. I didn't wanna deal with him just now. "I don't hate you" he said, sounding confused as he stood by the curb, beside me. "why do you think that?" he frowned. I gave him a side glance and he appeared to be genuine right now. "you told J about Jake, you're always giving me shitty looks, you barely speak and when you do it's with attitude" I snapped. "yeah I've messed up and hurt him, but you're making me feel like the lowest of the low" I said, feeling more tears come.

"um, I'm sorry if I've made you feel that way. It wasn't my intention" he said, making me look up at him. "I guess when you guys split I was disappointed. I saw my friend every day looking like his world had collapsed on him and he hadn't done shit to deserve it. And he didn't even get the opportunity to be heard. You just shut him out." he said, making me hurt even more. "I'm not saying you didn't have a right to shut down on him for a while, but I thought you might have given him a shot." he shrugged. I looked up at him shyly and then back to my feet. "I know you've had issues in the passed. Jules told me" my head shot up at that comment. "oh I mean cause he always worried about you, that he'd do something stupid, something 'Jules' to scare you away." he explained, "you were literally all he would talk about at training, how long before you left, til you came back. Til you moved here" he said. I felt the guilt rack my body and I felt the tears fall. "Penny, I just wanted you to see what you were throwing away" he said. "I knew what I was throwing away Rob" I sobbed, he pulled me into his arms. "I thought by pushing him away I'd protect myself from all the bullshit that came with you guys. If I wasn't with him, then there'd be no stories, no one wanting to hurt us." I sighed. "it all feels fucking stupid now" I huffed trying to calm down, pulling away from his tear stained shirt.

"go home, get a good night's sleep and think everything over. You know what you want" he said to me calmly. I looked up at him and he finally gave me a soft smile. But the door to the club behind him opened and my eyes darted to whoever came out. "don't worry, he won't be going anywhere near you" he said without even looking round. "we told him if he did then we'd finish the job Jules didn't have time to" he grinned making me laugh. "I've been so stupid" I shook my head. "eh, haven't we all honey" he replied. "but that's what second Chances are for" he said with a wink.

****part 100! Really didn't think I'd take this story this far! Thank you for sticking with me for so many chapters! ****