New Day, Same Problems

The sun was shining through the gap in my curtains, disturbing me from my slumber. I rolled over to check the time, only then realising I'd not turned it on since being at work yesterday. Shit. Shit. Shit! I turned the thing on and plugged it in to charge too. Luckily it was a Saturday and I wasn't at work, so I lay there waiting anxiously for it to show the familiar picture of my home screen.

You have 7 new WhatsApp messages
You have 4 missed calls
You have 1 voice mail
You have 20 unread emails

I cringed at the sight that befell me. Still it wasn't too much. And I imagined it would be Amelia, that girl can't go a night without calling it messaging me....not one of them was from her.

I couldn't help but feel she was pissed at me for the Julian thing. Ya know, letting him leave and not even discussing a thing about what we're doing. Or maybe even letting him think that we were more than what was realistically possible? I shook my head. I was getting way ahead of myself, so I best just answer them back....

Messages replied to my friends, mostly answering questions on this NFL mystery guy they called him. I had another WhatsApp from my brother, which wasn't an odd thing. I usually spoken to him every day or so. The other message on there was from Olivia back in Boston. I'd not heard from her in a week or so, she was usually travelling around here and there with her job. I opened up the text and it read:

OMFG! You def put a smile on that boys face!!!! Holy cow girl!! Can't wait to catch up! Facetime soon!! Xoxo

I blushed at her message, smiling from ear to ear. I couldn't wait to talk to her. I missed her. She was another string pulling me in the opposite direction to what I'd planned. I sighed and rubbed my face. I didn't quite anticipate the people that this was going to affect.

I reread Olivia's message and the same butterflies erupted in my chest. I exited her WhatsApp and clicked on the final one, Julian's.

Hey baby. Home safe. Miss you already! Xx

Hope you had a good day at work sweetie. Wanna talk soon, see your beautiful face xx

The pang of guilt was eating away at me. I know I wasn't intentionally ignoring him, but I felt like I was keeping this huge secret from him, from all of them and I didn't know why. But I did know I had to do something about it.

........

The day passed by with me doing laundry, catching up on tv shows I'd missed over the last couple days and pretty much cleaning my apartment. By now though it was 6pm and I was sitting at my kitchen counter having some dinner, when my phone began to ring. Glancing over at it, I grinned wildly when I saw a picture of Olivia flash up on my screen.

"hi honey!!" she squealed down the phone at me. "hey" I giggled at her. "how've you been?! Recovered from the other night yet?" she teased, cackling at her question. I rolled my eyes and she laughed even more. "you going to the game tomorrow?" I asked her, noticing she was in her apartment. She beamed a grin at me. "absolutely, I've missed the last three. And after you hogging my man over there, I need a fix of that delicious body" she beamed making me laugh. "I bet you've been messaging him non stop since he left right?" she asked, referring to Julian. I glanced down avoiding her gaze. "Penelope??" she said my name in a warning tone. "I've been meaning to reply... I've just been busy..." I lied. She sighed and I looked back up at my phone. "please tell me you've made your mind up" she said softly. I shrugged, "I think so" I swallowed, "does he know anything?"
I shook my head no, "we've not talked about it. I think we just go along day to day until one of us dare say something."
"but you're just gonna prolong the situation. You gotta tell him Penny, either way, because it's cruel to you both." she told me. I nodded feeling like a scolded child. But she was right. And I was going about this situation in completely the wrong way. "and I hate to say it girl, but that boy is crazy about you. His trip to visit you has probably made his crush even worse" she smiled sympathetically. I sighed and rubbed my face. "I've had an email from work too, I think they want me to go in and finally sign my contract" I told her, making her pull a face. "I know, I've got some stuff to work out" I sighed, dropping my head into my hands.

........

I chatted to Olivia for about an hour, catching up on what she'd been getting up to. It had been a long time coming, but now, I was cleaning up and about ready to take a bath.

Not long later I was climbing into my bath, glass of wine on the side, music playing, trying to unwind. I'd been talking and thinking about Julian constantly all day, but the stupid thing was, I'd not even replied to his messages. So I opened up my WhatsApp again and began to type.

Me: hey J, glad you're home safe. You ready for the game tomorrow? Olivia will be there #Jealous

I placed my phone on the side of the bath and sunk down into the bubbles.

Ping!

J: hey beautiful, thats cool. Can't wait to see you at a game again. Me and Dola are out on our usual run before Sunday 😎 xx

 Me and Dola are out on our usual run before Sunday 😎 xx

I giggled at the picture he sent me. Danny looked as cool as ever, Julian just made me weak. Such a cutie.

Me: that's such a better view than mine... Xx

J: 😌😌😌 I beg to differ baby🔥🔥 xxx

I giggled at his response, and he text me again before I could reply.

J: can't stop thinking about our last night together 😉😉😉 xxx

I blushed at that message too. Chewing on my lip trying to calm the giddiness that was bubbling up inside.

Me: my beds not the same without you in it xxx

J: can't wait to try you out in mine baby 😉 and the rest of my house xxx

I could feel the heat rising through my body knowing what he was thinking about. And I wasn't going to deny I was just as keen on it too.

Me: that's an offer I will never refuse 😘xxx

I smiled widely as I sent the message, my heart feeling like it was going to explode.

J: well you better get that hot little butt of yours over here ASap xxx

I needed to get my work situation sorted like now.