SLEEPLESS NIGHTS

James awakes to sniffling beside him. He rolls over immediately, upon realizing exactly who the small whimperings belong to.

"Regulus, darling, why are you crying? It's three in the morning....." James trails drowsily. "Honey?" He beckons Regulus too face him, gently tilting the younger man's chin upwards.

Regulus takes a few minutes to slow and steady his breathing before answering. "I-I didn't mean to w-wake you," He trembles. "M'sorry," He whispers quietly through his tears.

"Lovely, what's going on? What has you so upset? Is your tummy hurting you again?"

Regulus nods with even more tears. "She just w-won't stop kicking!" He sobs harder. "I'm so tired, Jamie, I just want to go asleep," He whispers hoarsly and James envelopes him into his arms.

He gently strokes his hand down Regulus' head, shushing him. "It's okay, mama, it's okay," He feels Regulus shake in his arms. "Just breath for me, sweetheart, getting worked up won't settle the baby either," He reminds in a soft tone.

Once Regulus is still and significantly quieter, James slowly pulls back the duvets, shuffling down to lay next to his boyfriend's belly. He can see the outline of his daughters small feet kicking constantly.

With Regulus two weeks away from his due date, their little girl has been active constantly, she is never still or relaxed or settled, causing regular hardship for her mother.

James gently presses soft kisses to the stretched skin of Regulus' abdomen, he let's his hands roam and rub small circles across his lover's body.

"Hey now, angel girl," James whispers gently to Regulus' belly. "You've got to calm down, you're exhausting your poor mumma," He strokes Regulus' skin softly. "You have to let mama get some sleep, sweetheart, he deserves his rest. In two more weeks, neither of us will get any rest with you crying all night, young lady,"

Regulus uses the back of his palms to dry his tear stained face and wipe away any remaining ones. He can already feel their daughter starting to relax and her kicking begins to diminish slowly and subtly. He sighs tearfully.

James looks up to him. "Feel any better, darling?" He asks softly.

Regulus nods. "She's settled a little bit, I think," He says.

James nods and simply continues stroking gentle, soothing shapes in to Regulus' belly. "Come on, love, your mama needs to get to sleep or else he'll be cranky with daddy all day long tomorrow," James teases softly. He peppers numerous kisses all over Regulus' exposed skin.

"You're going to be so beautiful, sweet girl. You're already so loved, we're excited to meet you, mummy and I can't wait," James murmurs against Regulus' skin. "We absolutely can't wait. Nana Effie is going to smother and spoil you, I just know it. And Grandpa Monty will teach you all about his work at the ministry. Uncle Moony and uncle Padfoot are going to ensure you raise all sorts of hell, love," James whispers.

"And mummy and I are going to let them, because there isn't Amy way in hell we could ever be angry with you, even if you're as bratty as your uncle Padfoot," James chuckles.

He isnt sure how much longer he talks to his daughter for or when the soft snoring had begun, James Potter just knows that Regulus Black looks ethereal as he sleeps; his mouth slightly parted, his hair hair spread along their pillows and a peacefulness falling upon his features at last.