WHY REGULUS BLACK IS NO LONGER A SEEKER

James comes around, a lot; to the point where more than half of his things now reside within Regulus' utility room. But Regulus begins to find that he doesn't mind all that much that James' quidditch equipment has been lingering there.

"I can put Max to bed," James rushes Regulus from his thoughts as he switches on the kettle before turning back to Regulus. "I won't be a minute," He promises.

"Sounds nice," Regulus replies. He sets two mugs onto the kitchen table. "I'll make the tea then,"

"Sounds like a plan,"

Regulus watches James scoop Max from his Moses basket and into his awaiting arms. James makes a face at the now eight month old and laughs heartfeltly when Max appears to have made a face in response.

"Oh I know, daddy is very silly, isn't he?" James murmurs, pressing a kiss to Max's little forehead. "Let's get you to bed, shall we? Get you all snug and tuck you in only for you to wake mummy and I up again in five hours time, eh?"

Mummy and I.

Regulus wouldn't necessarily say that he and James are dating, but they're definitely a thing. But if anything, they are simply just mummy and daddy. And Regulus finds that that is quite alright with him.

As James ascends up the stairs, Regulus begins to make a pot of tea. Once it is made, he heads upstairs to use the bathroom. Incidently, he stops outside Max's room, upon hearing James' conversation with their little one.

"These pajamas are cool, aren't they? Your uncle Remus got you them, and uncle Pete got you these cool socks!" The grin in James' voice is evident. "And look at your blankets, they're so cosy and warm. Mummy got you them, y'know? He got you so much before I came 'round, didn't he?"

James pauses before, "He got you this lovely, warm flat, he got you some toys and teddy bears. He did so much for you and I can't wait until you're big and strong and can say thank you to mummy," James hums. He begins tucking Max in for the night.

"Y'know, mummy is pretty great, isn't he? Again, he did so much for you, but, he also did so much for me, didn't he? He gave me such a beautiful little boy," James continues. "We're really lucky, aren't we, Maxie?"

Maxie.

It had started within the first week of James getting to know Max and Regulus had never opposed it. He welcomed it.

"We're also very fortunate that mummy ends up overhearing some things that he shouldn't," James' voice trails and Regulus knows that he has been caught. Regulus smirksa little, appearing in the doorway, folding his arms and leaning against it.

"You're a menace, Regulus Black," James grins as soon as Regulus appears. "You're nosey,"

"I had to pee and I was making sure that you weren't filling poor Max's head with idiocy,"

"I am wounded, darling, really," James scoffs playfully. He leans down to gently stroke Max's cheek. "Sleep tight, Maxie, baby," He murmurs.

"Goodnight, Max," Regulus echoes. "Sweet dreams, sweet boy,"

Gradually, rather silently, they descend down the stairs. After Regulus had been to the bathroom, of course. They sit quietly, in a comfortable silence, and drink their tea.

"Y'know, you never told me how it all went down," James begins.

Regulus arches an eyebrow. "The sex? Oh, love, you were there for that, weren't you?"

James chuckles. "Yeah, I don't need you to paint me a picture for that one, as pretty as that picture would be," He jokes. "I meant the labour, everything that came with it. You never got into the nitty gritty,"

"And that bothers you?" Regulus inquires lightly.

"A little bit," James offers. "I mean, it...it makes me feel bad,"

"For little ol' me?" Regulus scoffs slightly. "Don't feel bad. I don't need you to, you don't need to," He adds. "Everything...everything worked out. We don't need to get into it,"

James sighs gently. "But I'd like to know," He says softly. "I...I feel bad for not being there, with you, y'know,"

Regulus simply shrugs. "It's alright, James, really, it is," He pauses to hesitate. "I...I woke up one night with this...like, cramping feeling? Contractions, obviously," Regulus rolls his eyes in a nonchalant manner. "So I went to see Madame Pomfrey, blah, blah, blah; teen parent,"

James smirks just a little at this. "What was Maxie like? All newbornish and new?"

"What was he like?" Regulus repeats. "Loud, squirmy, mostly bald?" He laughs softly at the memory, the nostalgia of it. He shakes his head. "But...but so...so great? He...he really threw me for a turn and...and I didn't even mind that he had,"

James smiles tenderly. He takes Regulus' hand in his. "I'll never say this again, ever, so enjoy this, but; I'm...I'm glad Slytherin beat us that day,"

Regulus raises an eyebrow, teasingly. "Oh, yeah?"

"Yup," James confirms, squeezing Regulus' hand within his much larger one.

"You don't accept defeat very often, I'm going to have to engrave this into the back of my mind,"

"I realized that I never had to win that day, I won either way, I'm...I'm winning everyday I get to wake up and think about the fact that I get to have a baby with you,"

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Just something short and sweet to bring closure to the last two updates! Over 1000 words! I hope that you all liked it! 💛