DID THE LOVE AFFAIR MAIM YOU TOO?

By far the most startling factor surrounding Regulus' pregnancy has to be the timeline.

James has no idea what night during their three long randevous that the could have conceived a baby at. James had always meticulously ensured to wear protection, Regulus took his pill, life was simpler.

But now?

Now James appears to have two lives that no longer overlay and are no longer simple.

He can't face Lily properly. He's sure she's beginning to notice, but James can not summon the strength to care, to fake an innocent face of purity amongst his lies.

It's been four months since he's last seen Regulus. Four entire months and James comes to find he somewhat misses the witty young man and his sharp, sarcastic tongue and his hands, so gentle and delicate.

Lily hurls him out of his thoughts, stroking his cheek gently as she softly adverts his gaze to meet her jade eyes. "Where is your mind gone, love?" She whispers with a slight chuckle. She gently presses their lips together. "You've been so strange lately, Sirius said you're nervous, are you nervous?" She inquires in a sweet tone.

Sweet.

James doesn't even have a fucking excuse.

Lily is sweet. Sweeter than he deserves.

She's kind, she cares, she loves him and he almost sacrificed that for somebody who doesn't love him.

Regulus could never care for James in his icy heart the way Lily does in the warmth of her own. Regulus doesn't love James, James had never loved him. They had simply engaged in something exciting. Something new and fresh and adrenaline flowing. It was never about love. It was about passion and the exhilaration of it all. The almost getting caught of it all.

James sighs, nodding. "M'fine,"

"No, no, you aren't, James. Something's bothering you, your eyes are so sad lately,"

James swallows. He can't help but discreetly shudder. She doesn't deserve this, he tells himself, I don't deserve her. "I love you, Lil," He tells her, gently brushing a lock of silky auburn hair behind her ear, small, dainty pearls showing.

Lily nods, tutting to herself slightly as she looks away for a moment. "I'm not so sure of that anymore," She says quietly.

James blinks. "W-what?" He blurts softly, breathlessly.

"You've been so nervous. Maybe the marriage thing isn't for us," Lily elaborates. "I'll always love you, even if we're fiances for the rest of our lives," She explains. James feels even guiltier by the weigh he feels lift off of him. He was, once again, almost caught.

How Lily escapes her justice so narrowly will forever amaze James.

James clears his throat. "Wouldn't that be nice then, mmh? Fiances for life, we can't part til death," He hums.

Lily smirks, the corners of her blush lips curving upwards into a gentle leer. "I do, James Potter, I do," She laughs.

Smiling, James says, "I'm sorry I've been on edge, I didn't realize you'd noticed, I'm sorry,"

"Don't apologize," Lily shakes her head. A few stray strands of hr long hair fall to frame her face. She is angelic. James can't believe his sins. "We don't have to get married, ever even. I was worried you were scared it would be too domestic, y'know? A wedding, a honeymoon, kids even, I mean, it's scary, isn't it?"