GREAT UNCLE ALPHARD

"Tim, honey, slow down, you know uncle Alphard is getting old and weary. He simply can't keep up with you, baby," Regulus warns with a chuckle from his place on the porch, curled in their wooden rocking chair, a book in hand.

Uncle Alphard scowls mockingly. "I can keep up just fine, don't be so cheeky," He laughs. "The only reason that I'm chasing your son around is because you certainly aren't in any position to," He jokes.

Regulus simply chuckles. It's true. He isn't in any position to run after little Tim, not with his seven month baby bump weighing him down.

Little Timothy Alphard Potter is five years old and far too like James was as a child to not be chased around the back garden of his home. But he looks just like Regulus did as a young boy, which is perhaps why great uncle Alphard is so fond of this little one.

"Catch me if you can, uncle Alfie!" Tim jeers with a toothy grin as he rushes all around the long summer grass.

"Timmy, kiddo, be careful, don't fall," James calls as he comes out from the kitchen, out onto the porch, and sitting right next to his husband on a separate porch chair. "You remember how bad your last fall was, don't you, son?" He warns softly. He turns to his husband, passing him a mug of tea. "Here, for you," He grins.

Regulus smiles at him. "Thank you," His voice is soft. "Sam's been kicking a lot this evening," Sam. Baby Samuel will arrive in two months time, much to big brother Tim's excitement.

James' grin widens and he gently places a hand to his husband's round bump. "Has he?" He chuckles lightly. "He's still a lot quieter than his big brother is," He comments. "Maybe baby Sam is more like you then, eh?"

Regulus rolls his eyes slightly. "Tim's overactive energy levels are a Potter trait. Sirius and I weren't allowed to run wild as kids, therefore it has to be a Potter trait," He smirks.

"Uncle Alfie got me!" A shriek interrupts the couple's conversation and both of their heads turn to face the garden. Tim is clinging desperately to Alphard with a bright grin upon his little freckled face.

"Oh, Uncle Alphard, please don't carry Tim, you'll hurt your back," Regulus declares.

Tim giggles as Alphard tickles him slightly before dropping him gently onto James' lap. "Oh, don't be silly, Regulus. He's like you always were as a boy, light as a feather," He chuckles deeply. He ruffles Tim's hair tenderly. "I must get going, but I'll see you all for Sunday brunch, yes?"

"Of course, wouldn't miss it for the world," James replies with a smile.

Alphard grins at James, winking slightly. "I always did like you, y'know? You're just like your father," He smiles before leaving the family alone on the porch.

Tim cuddles further into his father, yawning a little. "Daddy? You wanna go color?" He asks softly.

"I think maybe a bath would be more beneficial, baby," James smiles with a soft chuckle. "You've been trekking about the garden all day,"

Tim pouts, turning to Regulus. "Mama? Color?" He asks, hopeful that his mother will allow him more recreational time; after all, every five year old knows that after a bath usually comes bed time.

Regulus shakes his head. "Why don't you let daddy give you a nice, warm bath and I'll make us all some hot chocolate for when you're all nice and clean? Mmh? Does that sound nice, love?"

Tim seems to consider. "Alright. But can we have some biscuits too, mama?"

Regulus laughs. He shares a look with James. "You're a little marauder, aren't you?" He chuckles. "Troublesome, cheeky, just like your daddy, eh?" Tim smiles back at him. Regulus pats his belly. "I hope for my sake that Sam is a little more tame, huh?"

"Baby Sam would color with me, he would let me stay awake for longer." Tim decides.

"Y'know, Timmy, when baby Sammy gets here, you're gonna be our big boy, aren't you?" James starts. Tim nods quickly, a proud smile upon his little face. "That means you'll get to stay up longer than baby Sam, how about we save all of our coloring until then?"

Tim smiles, nodding eagerly. "Wanna go have your bath then, hon?" James asks softly. "You can pick any bath toys, as long as the bath doesn't overflow," He teases, scrunching his nose.

"Or flood the house," Regulus offers.

Tim shrieks with laughter. Then he grows serious. "But...but the house wouldn't flood? Would it? Like a pool, mama? Would we live with uncle Sirius or uncle Alphard if it did?"

Regulus and James share an endeared smile as they reassure their little boy that they were just being silly.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Over 800 words! 💝😊