IN WHICH REGULUS AND JAMES MEET THEIR BABY

James awakes with an dull aching in his lower back and lower abdomen, as though one simply weren't enough for his baby to be causing. It seems the little one requests even more trouble for their achy mother because James feels the bed sheets dampening underneath him.

"Shit," James murmurs to himself. He sits up, slowly with his hands supporting his belly. He glances at Regulus, his husband is snoozing soundly, his face peaceful and all his delicate features at ease; which is a strange sight to see Regulus Black in, if you asked James.

A cramp ripples across James' belly and he clenches his jaw, his hands rubbing soothing circles on the sides of his belly. He hisses in pain as he feels a contraction. With a sigh, he gently nudges Regulus awake.

Regulus rolls over with sleepy eyes. "Mmh?" He hums, still half asleep. "J-Jamie?" He whispers, his grey eyes blinking open. "You and baby alright, honey?" He asks softly, looking up to his husband.

"My....my water broke," James utters breathily. He pauses before. "On...it broke on our linen sheets-"

Regulus sits up and stares at him before, "Our-" He abruptly pauses. "Our linen sheets? James, babe, I....I don't care about the fucking linen sheets! How're you feeling?" He scoots closer to his husband. "Have you had any contractions?"

James nods. "I've had a few," He replies in a small, shaky voice. "Oh God, it's...it's time, it's really time," He stammers.

Regulus takes his hand in his. His free hand travels to James' belly. "Hey, hey, shush, love. It's alright, you're having our baby," He soothes softly.

James swallows as he watches Regulus clamber out of bed. "I'll go floo the midwife, you'll be okay here on your own for a second, won't you?"

James looks hesitant so Regulus sighs, enveloping James in his arms snuggly. "I'll be right back, I promise, just hang tight and focus on your breathing. Can you do that for me, James? Just breath in and out, just like we practiced,"

James nods. He inhales shakily. "O-okay. Just...just hurry," He whimpers. He looks to Regulus with watering brown eyes. "It's really starting to hurt, Reg," He says, his voice cracking as tears slide down his face.

Regulus kisses the top of his head before nodding and leaving to their living room floo. Once he had contact Rowena, their midwife, he darts back up the stairs to find James pacing around the room, his hands held tight to support his aching back.

Regulus is at his side in an instance, hugging James from behind as he traces small, tender circles around his bump. "It's gonna be alright, you're doing so well," He whispers against James' shoulder reassuringly. "I'm going to change the sheets so they'll be nice and fresh for you, nice and clean, yeah?"

"Sounds great," James bites his lip in order to bite back a moan.

James sniffles and breaths heavily, trying to focus on his breathing to distract himself from the criplling agony he finds himself in as he watches Regulus change their bedding to some nice, soft cotton sheets that Dorcas and Marlene had gifted them many months ago.

After Regulus had refitted the duvet, he helps James get settled back into the bed, propping him up with some pillows to support his back. Regulus presses a tender kiss to the top of James' head and squeezes his hand tightly.

"I love you so much, James Potter," Regulus declares.

James smiles weakly as he leans up for an open mouthed kiss. It is messy and James is pretty sure he bites Regulus' bottom lip due to the quantity of pain he's found himself in, Regulus is sure he's also groaned into their kiss, but it is perfect and love filled nonetheless.