WHAT IF

Regulus paces the living room nervously, rubbing his hands together as he waits for James to come home. Every time he hears a noise, he finds himself glancing out the front window.

Then, finally, it is James who makes the noise. He walks up to the front door, running a hand through his unrukt dark hair hair. James looks very un-James right now. He looks tired and is most likely nursing a headache. Regulus freezes. His feet stop moving, his mind stops turning, and his lungs stop breathing.

The front door opens and James walks in, still sweaty from his matvh. He unzips the top of his kit and glances towards Regulus, who is still frozen near the front window.

“Hey, honey,” James greets, heading into the kitchen. He grabs a glass of water and chugs half of it before looking back at his statuesque boyfriend. Frowning, he asks, “You alright, lovs?”

Regulus just stares at him. His heart is pounding so loudly in his ears that he could barely hear a word that James has said. He watches as James gives him a strange look.

The older of the two steps forward, intent on reaching out to Regulus. Before he can though, before he could even get halfway towards Regulus, Regulus blurts, “I’m pregnant.”

James stops next to the kitchen table. “What?”

"P-pregnant.”

The two of them stared at each other for a long moment, neither of them moving. Then James repeats, “Pregnant?”

Regulus nods.

And slowly, very slowly, a smile breaks out across James' face. All his earlier fatigue faded away and he lets out his beautiful laugh before looking back at Regulus, his eyes shining.

James finally steps forward, looking down at Regulus' still flat belly, and inquires again, “Bloody pregnant?”

Regulus nods once more.

When James looks up into his eyes, Regulus can't help but smile back at him. He laughs too, James' mirth contagious, and swallows back the few tears that prickled at the backs of his eyes.

Regulus can't stop the sniffle he makes when James lays a hand against his belly. He sobs harder when James looks up at him in complete wonderment.

James wraps his arms around him and Regulus collapses into his shoulder, not knowing how he could have ever feel such happiness.

A long moment passes before James pulls back. He takes out his wand while shaking his head. "I have to tell my mum.”

"You're gonna send her a patronous?”

“Mmh. Why?”

“Because-” Regulus pauses. “Don’t you think this is something that has to be said in person? Or, you know, later? We don’t know what could go wrong or-”

“Reggie,” James whispers. He reaches out to caress Regulus' tear stained cheek and shuffles his feet forward so he can press their foreheads together. His breath is hot against Regulus' skin as he whispers, “Everything’s gonna be fine. And everything’s gonna go our way. And you’ve got nothing to worry about, okay?”

Regulus nods shakily.

James gently tilts Regulus' chin up and smiles so broadly Regulus can't help but smile back. “Now give me my wand, honey.”

Regulus rolls his eyes and relents, handing back the wand.

James takes his wand and happily contacts his mother. “All done,” James says suddenly in a quiet, softened voice. “Everyone knows.”

"Everyone?”

"Yeah. Mum will definitely tell anyone who'll listen.”

Regulus' face drops. "But what if-"

Rolling his eyes, James gently grabs his arms and murmurs softly, “Everything will be fine.”