SAFE HANDS

It had been thirty four weeks exactly since James had first told him in the dimly lit kitchen of James' parents house. They had wandered down during the night, James had been too anxious to sleep and Regulus has both needed a drink and for his husband to regain some kind of santiy.

The room had spun the and Regulus had waited a long time before he trusted himself to speak. For all his talk of family, of someone to keep James safe when he was gone, he hadn't been nearly ready.

"Reg?" James had finally ventured. "Say something. Just...please,"

"That's...wonderful," Regulus had managed through gritted teeth.

James had broken down sobbing.

Regulus spent the last passing months trying to make it up to his husband. James is just as scared as he is, maybe more so, and he had failed in his very first moment as the father of James' child. Maybe that was why he had thrown himself so completely into this hopeless job. Maybe he'd thought buying a home could fix his mistakes.

Or maybe Regulus is just avoiding James, avoiding the growing evidence that any day now could make them parents. It was a cruel joke: an ex death eater and a fearless, devoted auror; parents.

A gnawing pain settles in Regulus' stomach. Regulus rounds the corner and descends the pathway that leads to Remus and Sirius'. He is grateful for his brother's generosity, even if the circumstances aren't ideal.

At least here, James would be comfortable, and Remus or Sirius could ring for a medic if something went wrong. Which it wouldn't, Regulus tells himself daily. But the safeguard was in place.

Regulus creeps along the dank cavern, welcoming the darkness as a relief from the pelting rain. He's drenched, absolutely soaked to the bone. Regulus lets himself in through the back door and finds Sirius whistling in the kitchen. "Where's James?" He asks.

"Merlin!" Sirius flattens against the counter, eyes wide. "You know, one of these days you're going to give someone a stroke doing that." Sirius frowns. "You look frightful, you idiot. Stop trying to give your poor big brother a heart attack,"

"James," Regulus simply repeats.

"Upstairs," Sirius answers. "You sure you don't want something to drink first?"

"No." Regulus fixes his eyes on the door and leaves the small, homely kitchen.

"Lily's here," Sirius adds as he turns back to whatever he was doing on the counter. Probably preparing dinner for them all.

"James?" Regulus breaths when he finally reaches the door to his shared room.

"There he is!" Lily sits up on the bed and smiles. "Good to see you, Reg."

"Likewise, Lily," Regulus repeats.

"You're soaked," James says, coming to put his hands on his husband's arms. Regulus is cold and wet, shivering slightly. James frowns. "You should have a shower or something, you're freezing," He tells Regulus.

Regulus sighs, pulling away from James. He sits himself down on the edge of their bed.

James' from deepens. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Regulus answers.

"I'm going to go help Sirius with dinner, Remus should be home soon. You should both try to get some sleep before dinner. Regulus, you look dead on your feet," Lily suggests. "James, you also look exhausted,"

"Cheers, Lil, we make a handsome couple, don't we," James mocks a little before Lily flashes him a smile before exiting down the stairs. As soon as she is gone, he turns to his lover, who is making an exasperated, dull face. "What's that look?" James demands. "What did I do wrong this time?"