REGULUS AND EUPHEMIA

For 1paperplane 😚

The entire concept of spending the day with James' mother unsettles Regulus. It is not, however, Euphemia herself that unsettles Regulus; for it is more so the concept of his own lack of a motherly figure that creates the unsettlement within him.

But James would not have it when Regulus had attempts to opt to remain in their home, safely and soundly tucked beneath a crocheted blanket on their sofa, while a movie played and he read peacefully while James was at work. James had been far from fond at the idea of his heavily pregnant husband remaining at home, alone, while so close to his delivery day.

Ergo, James had practically arranged for Euphemia to babysit Regulus.

Regulus had simply scoffed at the idea. But he isn't scodding now, as he sits in an old armchair that James' father uses to read The Daily Prophet in.

"Can I get you anything, dear?" Euphemia calls from her kitchen. "Tea? A bath? Anything to soothe the little one, love? James has been telling me how much her kicking has been getting to you!" Regulus can hear the smile she's most indefinitely wearing in her tone of voice.

Regulus sulks further. "Er, no, no I'm okay thank you," He answers. "We're okay," He adds, patting his bump. His little girl, rue to both James and Euphemia's word, has been horribly active as of late; keeping Regulus, and in addiction James, up at the latest of hours.

Regulus gazes around the elegantly decorated living room, gawking in awe at the array of childhood photos that litter the room. Photos such as James on his very first broom, James taking his first steps as a prouder Fleamont watches on, James in the pond nearby his home while Euphemia stands by the ponds edge as a very small James makes a grab for a duck that had appeared to be swimming nearby.

Regulus ponders briefly if his daughter will be like that, like James; so eager to disrupt a duck's swimming.

Euphemia interrupts Regulus' nosiness as she appears in the doorway, leaning slightly on the door frame. Euphemia and Regulus' baby girl interrupt it as the baby gives a sharp kick to Regulus' ribs, causing him to hiss in frustration just as Euphemia had appeared.

Euphemia gives him a soft, sympathetic smile, two mugs of tea in her hands. "Now, I know you said you didn't want any, but I've brought you some tea. It's herbal, it'll soothe your tummy a little bit, perhaps ease her kicking, mmh?" She hands him his cup, one with a large, italic 'R' bestowed onto it.

Fleamont had purchased it with glee as soon as James had announced their engagement to his parents. It sits along a row of mugs. Initials such as 'E', 'F', 'J,' 'S', 'R', and 'P' sit neatly beside it. Regulus is sure once baby girl has a name, she'll have one too.

"I'm not quite sure if I've even given you the right mug, sweetheart! Sometimes I wish you and Remus didn't match initials, but I'm sure it makes that God awful 'R' tattoo on that brother of yours' chest seem all the more important, eh? Merlin, I told him only a small one, y'know? But he never listens, does he?!" Euphemia laughs.

The day Sirius had come home, barely twenty, with a large 'R' tattoo plastered across his chest, Euphemia had almost alerted the authorities. Regulus chuckles at the memory. "No, this mug is just fine, thanks," Regulus pauses to take a sip of his tea. It tastes like ginger and something sweet, perhaps citrus-y.

Lime. He's put his finger on it with another small sip.

Euphemia sits opposite him on a large, velevt sofa, crossing her legs as she swallows a mouthful of tea. "So," She starts breezily. "How is everything? Is she still kicking away in there?" She nods to Regulus' impressively large belly, especially for his petit size.