AT THE HANDS OF A BLACK

For BetterthenSnivellus 💙😊

James can feel Remus' large hazel eyes watching over him as he heaves dryly into the toilet bowl of their shared dormitory bathroom. "Uh, Prongs?" Remus hesitates.

"Gimme a minute," James rasps back, gagging quietly. He slumps back to his knees, wearily, swallowing back anything else he has left in him; unwilling to face the retched toilet bowl again. He shakes his head, sighing shakily as he turns to look up at Remus. "Alright. M'good," He says flatly.

Remus arches an eyebrow. "Are you?" He questions.

James nods simply. "Yes, Rems, I'm fine. Just a little flu," His throat is scratchy.

"Right," Remus is unconvinced. But isn't he always? "Right," He echoes, reaching into his pocket to produce a small, rectangular box. "Take this test and prove it to me so," He utters, thrusting the little white box towards James.

James blinks at the box, before gawking up at Remus. "A pregnancy test?" Remus just nods. "Moony, are you fuckin' for real right now? A pregnancy test? For me?"

"Well, we don't know what you get up to, so yeah, for real," Remus says bluntly.

"Hey, are you implying that I'm-"

"No," Remus chuckles dryly, slumping down next to James as he steps into the bathroom. "I'm not shaming you, mate, just a precaution. Just take it and put my mind at ease, will you?"

"Why would you think I'm pregnant?"

"Because," Remus starts. "You're all moody and shit lately, you won't eat breakfast because you can't keep it down, and you came back here after our last night out in Hogsmeade, hours after we had all come back; might I add, with a hickey, James Potter," He muses at the memory.

James swallows. "Oh," He stammers.

"Yep,"

"Moony, look...I'll take the test, but you owe me a butter beer when it comes back bluntly negative, mate."

"Cheers, it's a deal," Remus rises to his feet. "Let me know what it says, yeah?" He is far more casual than James had anticipated. He should be more worried about losing this little bet than he appears to be.

Remus leaves, closing the door behind himself as he does so. James stares down at the box, unwrapping the thin, plastic stick from it's box. "Right," He murmurs to himself.

James isn't exactly sure how to take a muggle pregnancy test, but he is not calling Remus back into the bathroom to show him how to. That would be far too mortifying. And so, he makes do, he figures it out.

He also figures out that he is fucking pregnant.

James staggers out of the bathroom, the plastic test gripped between his fingers as though it carries a plague. "Remus," He snaps shakily. "Remus, you better not have tampered with this and...and it better not be real and...and if it is...I'm...I-I'm gonna-"

This is when James finds himself losing all composure as he watches Remus' face drop, Sirius and Peter's expressions transform to ones of pure and utter disbelief. This is when James let's out a wretched sob and his threat becomes empty and void of any true weight.

"Oh...oh no," Remus is on his feet immediately, by James' side all too quickly. James is actually rather surprised and bewildered that Remus can move so eerily nimbly with such weakened hips and bones from his transformations. "Oh, Prongs, oh no," He whispers, taking the test from James' hands, observing it. "It's...it's positive,"