CARRYING ON

Regulus doesn't budge as he feels the mattress dip beside him. He doesn't even react in the slightest, not even flinching once. There is a soft sigh and Regulus knows exactly who it belongs to.

"Go away, Remus,"

Regulus' voice is hoarse and cracked. He hasn't used it in awhile. It feels unfamiliar to him, his ears unsure of who the sad, scratchy tone belongs to.

"Regulus, you know I can't do that,"

There is a long silence before, "Is Sirius here?"

Remus sighs again. "No, love, Sirius can't be in your house anymore. He says he'll get around to coming over again. He just can't see anything belonging to James right now,"

Regulus turns to face Remus with fresh tears falling from his already swollen eyes. "Oh, darling, come here, come here to me, shush," Remus pulls Regulus close to him and let's him cry unto his chest. He rubs the younger man's back. "Shush, it's okay, just get it all out,"

"N-nothing can ever be okay a-again!" Regulus sobs, balling his fists into Remus' shirt. He knows he must smell quite unpleasant right now, he hasn't seen a shower or a bath since his whole world fell apart the week before. "I-I miss h-him, Remus, I want h-him to come b-back!" He hiccups.

Remus rubs a hand through Regulus' hair. "Me too, Reg, me too," Remus feels his own eyes swelling with tears. "But you have to carry on. James would want you to be brave and carry on living your life for him. He wouldn't want you to have wasted a week of your life in bed, not eating properly and putting your health and the baby's health at risk. He would w-want you to l-live,"

Remus can't hold back his own sob and soon the two are crying together, horribly in sync as Regulus buries his wet face into Remus' shirt, dampening the fabric. He feels the baby kick and it is just yet another heart clenching reminder that James is gone.

The following month, Regulus finds it in himself to take care of James' will. He's left mostly everything to Regulus, James knew going into Auroring that he would need a will. And he had been correct to prepare.

His broom went to Sirius, naturally, while his array of muggle instruments were left to Remus.

His invisibility cloak is simply directed to be left for 'our little one'

Reading those words made Regulus' heart shatter and mend all at once.

The month after that, Sirius finally comes over again and helps him sent up the nursery with the additional aid of Lily and Mary.

It feels nice to have his brother with him again. Regulus and Sirius had been actively avoiding one another since James' passing. Both boys resembling a separate kind of reminder for one another of the pain that is James having left them. James was Sirius' brother at heart, his brother in arms while Regulus had been James' one true everything, the only person he wants to hold at the end of everyday.

They had cried together for a little bit, Regulus letting Sirius feel his niece or nephew tumbling around inside his round belly. Sirius had sobbed at the sensation of the final piece of James that resided inside of Regulus. It is bitter sweet.

Regulus grows large. James had once joked that he was sure he could fill Regulus up with their child and swell him as big as a house; and he had.

Regulus feels their baby kick at every hour, reminding him that they're inside. Regulus runs a hand over his belly, attempting to soothe his restless child. This is the time James would usually get down on his knees and relax their little one by stroking sift strokes against Regulus' skin.

Regulus sighs deeply. "I miss daddy too, baby, but he's always going to be with us," He whispers. Lily had told him that. She had promised that no matter what, James' airs and grace would never leave him or his child.

Regulus had been so delirious with grief, that he had started to believe her.

He ends up birthing his child with Sirius and Remus by his side, clutching both of their strong hands tightly. Regulus cries the entire time, crying out for James as the agony grows unbearable.

"I miss him. I miss him. I miss h-him!" Regulus sobs as he bores down. Sirius is crying too, Remus' eyes damp and glassy.

"I know, Reg, I know. But you have to be strong. James would want you to be strong for him and deliver your baby," Remus soothes softly. "Be strong, love. James is with you, he's with you every step of the way,"

Regulus isn't sure how much of that he believes but as soon as his daughter is placed against his chest, all bloody and wailing; he knows that as James had been with him the entire time, every step of the way.

And James always will if little Jane Marianne Potter's glowing brown eyes have any say in the matter.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Sorry its short! I didn't want to carry on the heartache! 💖