314. Part XLII: To gather moon dust

Under the night sky, the wind blew mildly as cold air penetrated Addy's skin. He shivered from the coldness and somehow made him a bit jumpy.

He looked up in the sky and saw the full moon and could feel something was wrong.

"I am not alone." He said. "Someone is doing a moon dust gathering ritual."

He trembled in fear.

"This can't be right." The Grand Magus of the Aeolian clan was starting to panic. "Who could that be?"

"Who could be what?" The child king of the Aeolian clan said as he walked beside Addy.

However, Addy remained silent.

"What's going on with you, really?"

The Grand Magus of the Aeolian clan inhaled deeply before he began to speak.

"I think, there is another one just like me." Addy said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"How did you know?"

"The moon."

"What about it?"

Addy walked towards a big rock and sat on it. Henry followed his lead.

"Since the beginning of time, our clan had performed this ritual called the moon dust gathering. The moon dusts can only be harvested during the full moon. The power of the dust is served to protect all fairies and hide us from the world-keep us safe. However, as eons passed on, we evolved and amass knowledge. And, with that knowledge, we discovered that though the moon dust protected us from the world, it shortened the lives of the fairies who constantly participated in the ritual. And, then, eventually, we die."

"Isn't death part of the cycle of life."

"Yes. But not to the fairies."

He began to sob.

"New fairies are born once every millennium. However, those newborn fairies are forever tainted by the moon dust and no longer shares the essence of immortality like the ancient fairies. And, as our numbers dwindled, we were forbidden to perform the ritual to preserve our species."

--- end of chapter ---