25 | First Years Ceremony

First Years Ceremony

"Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words before we begin the feast..."

Elizabeth sat and looked at the group of first years. This time last year, she was standing in their place, excited to be a Slytherin, to make her parents proud for once, and now look at her. Being practiced on by her little sister and Divicci. Being named the family disgrace and working for the Dark Lord.

Of all these years, she had known her parents weren't the best. She knew that other parents, like James's, didn't hurt him like Elladora and Divicci do, but in the back of her mind, she always thought it was out of love. She had always believed that her parents did love her, in some way or another, no matter how small that love may have been. But during the summer, she realized they didn't. All the pain, anger, and tears she'd waisted, had been from hate. Her parents hated Elizabeth with every fibre of their being. She didn't know what to do with that and-

"Regulus Black." Dumbledore's voice shook her out of her daze, and she sat upright as she watched Regulus make his way to the ancient, dusty hat.

After a few silent moments, the hat shouted,

"SLYTHERIN!"

Elizabeth clapped respectfully as the table in green erupted into applause.

"Maria Winger."

Elizabeth carried on paying attention as she knew nearly every single child being sorted this year.

"RAVENCLAW!" the hat shouted as she made her way to the cheering table in blue. Elizabeth wasn't surprised, Maria had always been a bright witch.

"Cassilda Selwyn."

Elizabeth tensed as her friends and house turned to look at her. "That your sister?" Derek asked, leaning over the table. She nodded and looked to see the hat barely being placed on her head and then shouting, "SLYTHERIN!"

And that's how the rest of the sorting went.

"Rabastan Lestrange."

"SLYTHERIN!"

"Nova Green."

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Lilith Rosier."

"SLYTHERIN!"

"AMOS NOTT."

"SLYTHERIN!"

"Maddison Harper."

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Rose Clementine."

"SLYTHERIN!"

"Barty Crouch Jr."

"SLYTHERIN!"

"Katy Barebones."

"SLYTHERIN!"

And finally, "Jonathan Selwyn."

Again, everyone turned and this time Billius asked, "You have another brother?"

And again, she nodded and watched.

After what felt like forever, the hat shouted, "RAVENCLAW!"

Jonathan didn't move. Elizabeth froze as her shoulders skyrocketed to her neck. Ravenclaw?!  The hall was so silent. Not as silent as when Elizabeth was sorted, but it was excruciating. Then Sirius stood up and clapped and then the Ravenclaw table soon joined in.

Elizabeth looked towards the Slytherins and saw Jake smiling brightly and Cassilda looking as if she had been slapped clean across the face.

"LET THE FEAST BEGIN!" Dumbledore said as he clapped his hands making the food appear in front of the students at each of the four house tables.

There was, shockingly, no new Gryffindors this year. A lot of Slytherins and Hufflepuffs and two shocking Ravenclaws.

Elizabeth didn't feel like eating anymore. She was tired and in a lot of pain and scared for her brother. She didn't want him going through what she was. She knew Cass would write immediately and when she looked up she was already writing. Elizabeth stood up and her bench scraped across the tiles and attracted a lot of unwanted attention.

"Psst, El. Where are you going?" Remus whispered as she walked away.

"You'll see," she said back and marched over to her sister.

"Cass, what do you think you're doing?" Elizabeth said as she put a hand down over her sister and smudged the letter she was in the middle of writing.

Cassilda looked up and the ghost of a smile spread across her face.

"Writing to mother and father a letter about-"

"Incendio! " Elizabeth shouted and the letter burst into flames. The hall went silent and watched it burn.

"WHAT IN SALAZAR ARE YOU DOING, EL!" Cassilda shouted.

"HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!" Elizabeth shouted back. "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU, CASSILDA SELWYN! ITS NOT EVEN THE END OF THE FUCKING FEAST, AND YOU'RE ALREADY WRITING TO ELLADORA AND DIVICCI?! WHAT? DON'T LIKE BEING TOLD NO! DO YOU LIKE HURTING YOUR SIBLINGS?! DO YOU LIKE SEEING US SUFFER?!" When no answer came, she barrelled on.

"If I find out you have told anyone from our house of Jon's house placement, you are going to pray to Merlin that it was you being practiced on during summer!" Elizabeth hissed and then paused, taking deep breaths as she walked away from the first-year devil, back to her seat at the Gryffindor table.

The hall was silent, all you could hear was Elizabeth sigh a breath of relief as she sat back at the table.

"Miss Selwyn, mind your language. Ten points from Gryffindor!" Professor McGonagall shouted from the staff table.

And then, everything returned back to its normality.

"What the fuck was that about?" Peter asked.

"Wasn't it obvious? The little shit was ratting out Jon to our beloved Elladora and Divicci. The little shit. Who does she think she is? Is she trying to hurt him!"

"Do your parents not like the idea of him being in Ravenclaw then?" James asked.

She shook her head, no. "Of course not. If we're not in Slytherin, then they'll go batshit on him and he'll get hurt. I don't know what to do," she admitted.

"They wouldn't hurt him," Remus said.

Sirius and Elizabeth made a face. "Tell that to her bruises," Sirius mumbled.

"Shut up, Black," Elizabeth snapped in reply.

"What happened during summer? What is this great practicing that I keep hearing so bloody much about?"

"Sirius, I don't want to talk about it. So, for the love of ruddy Merlin, drop it."

"But I-"

"No. Drop it. " She ordered.

Sirius did leave it, for now.

~~~
Not a long chapter sorry.