94 | Bad news all Around

Bad news all Around

Tuesday 10nth April, 1974

March flew by with a quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. Gryffindor won by just ten points after Katie caught the snitch. As they were down a beater now, Sirius was able to step back up and had blocked six bludgers with Marlene during the game. Of course, with the end of March also came James' birthday.

It had been an extremely large party just five days after the big win; so many were keen to celebrate. The usual birthday songs were sung. James received half the world's supply of 'happy birthday' cards during the day and the party was like none before. Drinks were pouring in and for once, Elizabeth didn't have to buy them herself.

Unfortunately, Marlene and Sirius had seemed to pick up the habit of smoking too. Elizabeth felt a twinge of guilt at this but didn't choose to dwell on it. Regulus told her he bought his cigarettes from Lucius, and after much reluctance, she bought a pack, swearing Malfoy to secrecy. Marlene and Sirius were paying Elizabeth for some of their own, and by the end of the month the common room either smelled of their cigarettes or the Firewhiskey from James' fourteenth party.

Remus had ended up doing some sort of dance with his arse with Lily and Mary on the table. Remus had dipped both girls in his arms and twirled them round - much to James' jealousy. Sirius had spent half the night dancing and laughing on the floor with Marlene, and Peter was half dead with Dorcas and Alice by the stairwell. Elizabeth decided to celebrate and ended up passing out just after midnight.

Now, with the new month, the excitement had died down. Elizabeth had received a letter back from Céline thanking her for the gift and telling her about France and all of her friends. Charlotte had sent a letter wishing her well and asking how Hogwarts was, and just like that, Elizabeth was in correspondence with her friends from France again.

It was late at night now, though. Elizabeth had snuck out of the common room where she, Lily, Mary, Alice and Marlene had spent the past three hours laughing and talking by the fire. Marlene had winged about her baby brother and the boundaries her mum had set her for summer. Lily talked about seeing her sister soon and the primary school she had attended before Hogwarts (Elizabeth had been intrigued that all four girls had been to one). Alice talked about visiting her grandparents in some place called Florida, and Mary just couldn't wait to see her parents again.

As Elizabeth crept up the spiral staircase to the Astronomy Tower, she listened out for any sign of students or Filch anywhere near. It had been some time since she had snuck out without the Marauders' invisibility cloak, let alone to see the ghost she missed dearly. As it had been so long she just needed to hear her voice, to see her laugh again, to just see her again.

"Lillian?" Elizabeth whispered to the darkness. Creeping forward slowly and peering round. "Lils?"

"I'm here, El." Lillian smiled and gravitated towards her.

Elizabeth smiled gratefully, plopping herself down to the edge of the tower behind the railings.

"You're here." Elizabeth sounded almost shocked.

"I am. How come you're here, it's been so long."

She shrugged and began fiddling with the ends of her gown. "I miss you."

Lillian smiled and placed a hand to her knee. Elizabeth couldn't feel it, but the gesture was there all the same.

"Eve and Andy are moving on. Andy more so than Eve, but I think that's only because Andy isn't isolating herself away from those she loves."

"No. Andy has a heart of gold, she never can turn her back on those she loves. Even in a time of hardship and Evelyn is..." What was the best way to put this?