All Chalked Up

(Opening shot: the city skyline during the day.)

Narrator: The city of Townsville! (An animal's cry echoes over the distance.) It's high noon.

(Cut to the exterior of Pokey Oaks Kindergarten. We hear kids playing.)

Narrator: Just in time for recess at Pokey Oaks Kindergarten!

(Pan quickly to the playground, then go into a slower pan across it as he continues. We see kids on the playground equipment. Among them are Elmer Sglue, Harry Pitt, Mitch Mitchelson, Joey (from "Mojo Jonesin'") and his Asian colleague, Blossom, Julie Bean, and Mary. Ms. Keane keeps an eye on the class from the background.)

Narrator: Where the girls and their classmates get an opportunity to blow off a little steam.

(The camera now reaches the asphalt section of the playground and passes an extreme close-up of a dodgeball being held aloft—by Buttercup, as we see when the view next gets to her face and stops.)

Buttercup: (low, menacing tone) No mercy.

(Pull back. She lets fly, and the camera shifts to ride with the ball as it sails across the yard toward Mitch. He does not move until it slams into his face and sends him flying to land on his head. Back to Buttercup.)

Buttercup: (disgustedly) Aw, come on, Mitch! The game's called dodgeball! If you want to play catch instead, just tell me.

(The ball flies into view and smacks her in the face. Now Mitch gets to do a little gloating.)

Mitch: In yo' face, baby!

(The ball sails up. Cut to an overhead view of the pavement and pan across as it bounces and rolls along. Chalk drawings, including images of the Professor, clouds, stars, and animals, cover the area. Bubbles comes into view, hunched over a spot, and the camera cuts to a close-up of her. She is hard at work on a new drawing, with a piece of chalk in hand—now we know where all the others came from.)

(The ball comes to rest behind her, but she does not immediately notice it. When she does look up from her drawing, she sees it and reaches to pick it up.)

Buttercup: (from o.c.) What are you doing with my ball?

Bubbles: Huh? (Her perspective of her sister.)

Buttercup: Give it! We got a game going on!

(Pull back to frame both of them. Buttercup snatches the ball away.)

Buttercup: (sighing in disgust) Aw, man, you got chalk all over it. You know, Bubbles, this is a playground, not a drawing ground!

Mitch: (from o.c.) Yo! What's the holdup?!

Buttercup: (to him) I'm coming! (She runs o.c.) Bubblehead is just doing her stupid chalk stuff again.

(Bubbles glares after her, then goes back to her drawing. Cut to Buttercup, arms folded and game face firmly established.)

Buttercup: Okay, Mitchie, gimme all you got. If you miss, you gotta play with Bubbles and her chalk.

(Bubbles glares at her again, after which the camera cuts back to Buttercup and quickly turns around to frame Mitch, ball in hand. close-up of his sweating, sneering face, panning slowly across it, then of Buttercup's set-in-stone visage and pan across it as well. Now we see the ball as Mitch digs his fingers in to get a better grip. Pull back as he throws with all his might and follows it to its intended target. She does not move or flinch until the last possible moment, when she leans to one side.)

(The ball misses her and catches Mary upside the head. It starts to ricochet all over the playground, hitting people and things and cracking one of the classroom windows. Buttercup leans away again to avoid the rebound. Mitch next takes a hit to the chest that turns him into a human projectile. He hits the asphalt and skids through Bubbles' drawings to stop in front of her, sending up a cloud of chalk dust as he goes.)