Chapter 3: Introducing Babrubahan

Story Unfolds :

"Mere Pitashree kyon hain, Mate?!! Batao mujhe. Main apse yeh janane ki ichha prakat karke binati karta hoon. (Tell Mr the identity of my father. So please mother. I beg of you.)"

A teenage young boy was standing tall in expectation that his mother, his God, would reveal the identity of his own father. At least today.

Babrubahan (Son of Arjuna and Chitrangada)

He since his own birth did not see the face of his father as Arjuna rejected to accept his mother as his legal wife. As he had suspect on the character of his wife. Chitranhada.

It had a sad back Story too. When they met together at the Kamakhya temple his mother Chitrangada challenged Arjuna in a duel where he defeated her. But after revelation of her own identity as a girl, he refrained from the war. Her ego was hurt yet she was truly attracted to him. You could call it as infatuation. She never met any strong boy in her life. Nor anyone had defeated her in the battlefield. Her infatuation soon turned into a one-sided love for him. After overcoming many hurdles she married him. But their marital life was just for three nights. He was not in love with her. A bit. He was infauted with his second wife. Nag Rajkanya. Ulupi. He married her to secure the border of his newly made state. Indraprastha. He never trusted her as he never loved her. So when Ulupi conspired against her and provoked him by questioning about her character, he easily trusted her. He suspected the chastity of pregnant Chitrangada and abandoned her truly alone at that helpless state. He never ever came back to her nor looked at her direction once again. She also got angry and took a vow to destroy the "Ghamand" (Pride and arrogance) of Arjuna. By his own son. Babrubahan.

"Matashree, apko jab bhi main apne Pitah ki baren main puchta hoon, ap chup kyun ho jate hain?!!" (Whenever I ask you about my father, why you always becomes silent?!!) The young Boy pressed his mother for the reply. And his queries were valid too. Every son had a right to know about his own father.

Chitrangada (third wife of Arjuna & mother of Babrubahan)

& mother of Babrubahan)

Chitrangada was standing rigidly. She was always afraid to face the question that she could not answer. What had to say?!! "Putra, apke pitashtree ko to apki Matashree ki charitra pe sandeh hain!! (Son, your father had a doubt on your mother's character!!)" How could a loyal and devoted son like Babru (nickname of Babrubahan) would take it?!! He would never ever forgive his father!! But that she never wanted. Till today she loved Arjuna tremendously. It was her fault that she fell for a man who never loved her. Not his fault. As he never ever tried to love or understand her. A bit.

She sighed deeply. Her one sided love would never be fruitful. She knew it perfectly well. But she thought with her devotion she could win his heart. But she did not even imagine that Arjuna was so much heartless man.

Picture of Arjuna by Chitrangada

"Mate, kya aj bhi ap is prashna ka uttar nahin dengi?!! (Mother, can't you answere even today?!!)" She broke up from her dreams with a jolt by hearing the voice of her only son. Babru. Babrubahan.

"Abhi Iski samay nahin aya, Putra. Ucit samay pe iska uttar mil jayega!!"
(Bow is not the time. At the proper time you will get the answer!!) With another sigh she answered him.

The ever obedient Boy came forward and with folded hands sat before his mother on one knee while uttering this softly -

"Main pratiksha karunga, Mate!! (I will wait for that appropriate time, o mother!!)"

She loooked at her son in love. She did not know to what great destruction her ego was pushing her only son. Alas!! If only she could see the future!!

************************************