Chapter 53: Pradumna-Padmaja Separation

Story Unfolds :

"Ap apni agya wapas lelo Bhratashree. Mujhse nahin hoga. (Take your order back, elder brother. I can't do it.)" A Boy was nodding his head violently in disagreement. He was none but the naughtiest among the 8 siblings. The so-called "joker" of the family. Shamb.

                 Raj Kumar Shamb

                 Raj Kumar Shamb

This brother of Pradumna never ever turned his back to him. But this time he was bound to. His elder brother had been giving him the most difficult task of his life. He wanted Shamb to drop Padmaja at her maternal home in Anga. But he could not do that!! What would he tell to her Bahabi?!! "Chalo, Bhabi, bhaiya ne jane ke liye kahan hain apko!!! (Come on, dear sister-in-law, get up and go to your home as my brother and your dear husband demands it from you?!!)" How could he do that to her?!! Was not her heart broken into pieces?!! Would not she shed tears in secret?!! How could he tolerate a single drop of tear emerged from her eyes?!! His Bhabi was his Goddess. He could not hurt his deity.

"Shamb, mere baat sun.. (Shamb, at least listen to me.)" His elder brother demanded. In clear but trembling tone of voice. He knew perfectly what his Shamb was feeling at this nick of the time.

"Nahin... (No)" He nodded his head dismissively and stormed out of the room. To hide his tears from his dear God. His elder brother. Pradumna.

God knew what he felt at that time!!
Pradumna turned back and looked expectantly to the faces of his every brother. None was satisfied with his suggestion. But none dared to even challenge him. They had complete faith on their elder brother. Blind faith.

Jayanta bit his lip and lowered his face. He seemed undecided how to face Padmaja. Just like Shamb. Ram was crying constantly. His eyes were blurred in tears. He folded his palms and in silence begged his brother not to choose him for that merciless duty. He could not cope to see the pain in his eldest sister-in-laws eyes. Nagesh was avoiding eye contacts with his brother. He was also not ready for it.

"Anirudhha. Shalwa. Koito age ao!! Kya mere koi bhai mere sahayata nahin karna chahta!! (Anirudhha. Shalwa. Someone come forward. Please. I beg of you. Why don't any brother of mine is not helping me in this toughest decision of my life?!!)" Pradumna asked in choked voice. His own voice sounded unfamiliar in his own ears. He never sounded so much heart broken in his entire life.

Anirudhha looked at the face of his middle brother Anushalwa who had closed his eyes tightly. Years were now streaming down his pink cheeks. His Adam's apple was going ups and downs. That meant only one thing he was trying really hard to control his emotions.

Anirudhha sighed softly recalling his loving brother and what he was for him. His entire life surrounded around his family and brothers. His elder brother was father-figure to him. In several wars he had saved his life too. For him he could do anything. Even if it was a sin, but he agreed to do that. Just for the sake of his elder brother he could die smilingly. Hats off Anirudhha!! You were a great example of brotherhood in the history of Mahabharata!!